We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR Hiking the Half Dome 22.7.14

Halden, Norway
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
TR Hiking the Half Dome 22.7.14

Hiking to the top of Half Dome is a way to spend a day in Yosemite!

Me and my two teens started 05.30am from Curry Village and followed the signs.

Well, the signs is pretty bad all the way, so bring our own map!

We did not, we just followed the signs, and discovered that we been walking much longer than needed. (John Mist trail or something like that). We walked the Nevada Falls down

That said, the trail we walked up is a much easier trail rather than do the Nevada Falls trail. It takes a good hour longer, but is not that steep,

What we will remember the most is actually the friendliness you Americans (after a while we could tell who was Americans and who's not) show when hiking! Back home in Norway, we can nod to each other when walking in the forest, but all the cheering and moral support we experienced was something to take with us back home!

We clocked in at a total of 9h45m and 18miles (28km).

The video is here: http://youtu.be/xaKBoxmIa50

--

A part of rdtrp14

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,673 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR Hiking the Half Dome 22.7.14

Thanks for the report. So you did John Muir up and Mist Trail down? That's the opposite of what most folks do. Hope your knees are ok. ;)

That's a great observation about people on the trail. I know I appreciated the encouragement and gave a few ,"almost there," and "you can do it!" myself.

Hope you made great memories with the kids.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 15:32
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR Hiking the Half Dome 22.7.14

Awesome video! And you guys made great time; way faster than I can do!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
19,673 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR Hiking the Half Dome 22.7.14

Way faster then me too. : p I finally watched the video. I kept waiting for a shot of your daughter smiling!

What time did you make it to the subdome? The amount of people on the cable was about the same when we were there at about noon.

Did you use a regular camera on the cable? I didn't dare take anything out on the cable portion in fear of dropping it. We saw a water bottle roll down and that was pretty scary. My hubby wore and GoPro on his chest.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR Hiking the Half Dome 22.7.14

The smiling comes at the summit and then at the Curry Village pizza deck when you're enjoying a tall cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ale after!

Williamston...
Level Contributor
836 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR Hiking the Half Dome 22.7.14

Nice video! Enjoyed watching it.

6. Re: TR Hiking the Half Dome 22.7.14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:16