We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

Hi,

I'm hoping for some information on weather and driving conditions, we check out of our Vegas accommodation on November 1st and we are driving to Yosemite (lodge at the falls) for an overnight stay on our way to SF.

I was hoping to get an idea of the general weather condition for that time of year (rain/etc)

And also, is a permit required to enter the park?

Thanks

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

No way to predict weather. Nights will be cold for sure. You know this app will take at least 9 hours for the drive between Las Vegas and Lodge at the Falls? You'll pay a fee of $ 20,-- at the south entrance of the park.

www.nps.gov/yose

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

Thanks for your advice, I had read on some other posts that snow can cause road closures.

Our Travel agent had told us about 4-5 hours drive time, so we will factor in the 8-9 hours and get an early start to the day.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,482 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

Please read the info about travel agents linked to the Top Questions on the California pages.

IF, and it is a big if, Tioga Pass is not yet closed for the season_ that is the most scenic route. If you have more time, driving through Death Valley is a good idea. But with only one day, you are probably driving via Bakersfield to the Douthy Entrance.

The Top Questions here will help you to plan your time.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

Yes, I would not take the risk driving via Tioga pass. When it's closed it will be a very long detour to get to the Valley. And 9 hours will be more likely than 8 even via Bakersfield.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

When driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite there are two routes, either across the Sierra Nevada (mountains) or south around the mountains. Tioga pass, the shortest most direct route closes in winter (generally from November to May) due to snow…

The National Park Service has a web page showing historic closing and opening days since 1980 at www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm That shows that the average closing date is November 5th, and the median is November 12th Add to this that California and the west is experiencing a record drought, and the odds that Tioga pass will be open on November 1 are actually quite good.

The most direct route is north through the ghost town of Goldfield to Tonopah, then West, alternately, across Death Valley, through the Owens Valley then over the Sierra is spectacular and scenic. The southern “winter” route around the mountains is much less so… If conditions allow take Tioga, It is one of the most beautiful routes in the world... but plan to take the southern route...

If it was my vacation, I would plan to take the southern route, but check conditions the day before, and if Tioga is open, and if the weather is good, take the direct route. Be aware that all services on the pass will be closed for the season, (It can be a long way between gas all over the west... don't pass up a chance to fill up)

If conditions are at all marginal, the National Park Service could require that you carry tire chains. They can require chains when entering from the west as well, more likely on Hwy 41 than on 140, so if it is snowing, you may want to go in from Maraposa instead of Fresno). Also, all (except Maraposa) effectively take about the same amount of time… on the southern route it’s just a drive, mostly on Interstates, while on the either of the direct routes you will want to stop, and Tioga Pass has a speed llimit of 35 and 45 mph...

There is a $20.00 per vehicle entrance fee for Yosemite… also for Death Valley, but at Death Valley they do not have entrance stations, and in theory, if you just drive across on Hwy 190, and do not stop, it is not required… (but you would want to stop, and even detour down to Badwater the lowest place in the US… and paying the fee is a good idea)

Randy

LA
Level Contributor
10,493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

I hope you are questioning everything this Travel Agent has said to you or has set up.

Please feel free to cross-check with us, including drive times, hotels you have been booked into, itineraries, etc.

I have the feeling there are some other huge mistakes out there.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

Thank you ( PacificNWfamily) yes I had read the Info Re Travel agents on the California Pages which led me to do some more searching. We had mentioned to our TA that we would like to drive via Death Valley, but with only 1day to get to Yosemite, we probably can't do that.

(Tet14) so via Bakersfield, would that be 9 hours straight driving without including any stops? (Bathroom breaks/gas stations etc)

Thanks (RandyHees) that's a good idea. And thank you for the weblink also.

(PareoB) yes I have really made our TA work for her money, the rest of the trip is quite easy but I hadn't put too much thought on the drive time from vegas to Yosemite (silly of me) I had heard it was about a half day and thought ok good. However no one mentioned snow! Thank goodness for these forums they are a godsend!

We have 18 days in California planned for our trip,

3 nights In west hollywood (ramada plaza)

3 nights Anaheim (ménage hotel)

2 nights Carlsbad (Lego land hotel)

1 night in Phoenix (Hyatt house Scottsdale)

1 night Grand Canyon (best western premier)

2 nights Vegas (planet hollywood)

1 night Yosemite (lodge at the falls)

2 nights San Fransisco (raddison at the wharf)

1 night Monterey (Hyatt)

1 night LA (hilton LAX)

Car hire is with Driveaway.

Thank you all for your assistance it has been a huge help!

Lisa

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

I am fairly sure that 4 to 5 hours of driving time from Las Vegas to Yosemite is impossible whether you can drive through Tioga Pass or not.

Going through Tioga Pass, 400 miles, 7 hours is the absolute best.

Going through Bakersfield, 490 miles, about 9 hours as Tet suggested.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

Best Western is not in Grand Canyon NP but in Tusayan. That's close to the south entrance of the park but staying inside is best for sunset and sunrise www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Monterey to LA via coast (hw1) really is a long day. Count on some 8 hours without stops and you will want to stop at many of the fabulous views on the way and you won'have time for a visit to Hearst Castle or even a walk at Point Lobos SR. We always recommend to stay another night between Monterey and LA like in Cambria, Morro Bay, Samn Luis Obispo or Pismo Beach. Also Santa Barbara is worth a stop for lunch and a look around. (State Street, Mission) ith just one night I suggest to cancel your Monterey stay and make a booking for Cambria.

Tet

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas to Yosemite 11/1/2014 Weather Conditions

Thanks Tet,

Thats a good idea, i might change our last night in LA and make it part of the drive back from Monterey and break it up over two nights.

our flight home isnt until 11.30pm so we will have plenty of time to get ourselves to the airport.

Lisa