We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets around Yosemite

New York
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarkets around Yosemite

Hello

Are there many supermarkets before entering Yosemite? I need to stock up on water and snacks at a reasonable price. I am coming from SF.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
LA
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

Which road would you be using to enter Yosemite? There are 4 different entrances,

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,691 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

IF you just want water and non perishable snacks ,I'd buy them while in San Francisco.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,995 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

The typical route from San Francisco to Yosemite is 580/205/120. You will pass through Manteca. That is your best bet. If you miss that, the next major town is Oakdale. Beyond Oakdale, no more major town on the way to Yosemite.

Mentioned in this post
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,752 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

If you're a Costco member, you could stop at Costco either in Tracy or Manteca; both are near the highway so would not be too far off your route. If not, there are grocery stores in both towns. In Oakdale there is a Raley's, Save Mart, Grocery Outlet and Ralphs. There are also a couple of food stores in Groveland. In Yosemite Valley there are food stores both at Yosemite Village and Curry Village.

Mentioned in this post
Groveland
Groveland
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,760 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Yosemite Village
Yosemite Village
447 Reviews
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

They have plenty of potable water in Yosemite, so no need to worry about stocking up on water from the store.

Mentioned in this post
New York
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, I am a Costco member and we may pay a visit there.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,995 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

Just a note: if you are staying within the Yosemite Village...

Costco sells things in bulk. Packages are usually huge. You may want to buy extras, more than you need for this trip, and save the rest for home. But remember the bear policy in Yosemite - all food and even water cannot be left inside the vehicle. You would need to haul them all, I mean all, to the anti-bear food lockers at your cabin. You may need to make extra trips to do that. Thought you may want to keep that in considerations when you make your purchases.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Village
Yosemite Village
447 Reviews
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,218 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

If PattyJ is staying in hardsided lodging (Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, for example), she can bring all the food & water into her room. If she's in a tent cabin or camping, she'll need to use her bear locker.

There was a campground review posted this summer from a TA member who was unhappy that the rangers reprimanded her several times a day about leaving a cooler out that just had water bottles in it; she had too much stuff for her bear locker. I was surprised that the rangers didn't ticket her.

Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley Lodge
Yosemite Valley Lodge
4,023 Reviews
New York
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

I didn't know about the bear policy. I better tell everyone to clean up the snacks in the car. We are staying at the Ahwahnee. Thank you for the information.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,218 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarkets around Yosemite

Glad you found out now. Trying to find stray wrappers and empty cups in the dark isn't fun. Here is some additional bear information: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c159048/Yosemi…