We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing near Crane Flat Campground?

Garden Grove...
2 posts
Save Topic
Fishing near Crane Flat Campground?

Hi al!!!

I will be at Yosemite the fist week of September.

Can anyone tell me if there are any good spots to fish near the Crane Flat campground? Something easy to get to?

And my second question: are there any good spots that are easy to get to AND there are no restrictions on the type of hook or fish you could catch? It seems like certain areas require you to use barbless hooks and you cant keep rainbow trouts.

Thanks a bunch!

Edited: 18 August 2014, 05:28
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing near Crane Flat Campground?

Yosemite Valley and the Merced River historically had few fish... they were planted at one time but no longer. Until last years Rim fire I would have suggested the South Fork of the Tuolumne River where it crossed Hwy 120 west of the park exit.... But it is now closed for fire recovery.

Between the Rim fire and the drought this is not a good time for trout fishing on the west side of Yosemite...

The fishing is better on the east side of the park in Lee Vining creek... north of there, near Bridgeport there are lots of restrictions on hook and catch and release...

Randy Hees

Garden Grove...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing near Crane Flat Campground?

Thank you Randy, that info was very helpful. I guess i will just lower my expectations wayyy down and if i happen to catch something, then it will be happy times! :)

3. Re: Fishing near Crane Flat Campground?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park