We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Roads in Winter

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
The Roads in Winter

Thinking of taking the family to either the Ahwanhee or the Tenaya Lodge during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Just wondering if the roads to these places are kept cleared of snow. I know that many times chains are needed in the Tahoe area, but I have never been to Yosemite in winter and would love any input about the road conditions. Thank you!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,085 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Roads in Winter

There are times when chains are required in the park, but my understanding is that for the roads into/out of the Valley from the west, this would be primarily immediately after a large snowfall. They do try to keep the roads cleared. Coming from the west into the Valley, Hwy. 120 is more subject to weather closures, and Hwy. 140 is the "all weather" route.

Tenaya is, of course, outside the park, so (I assume) dependent on CalTrans plowing. I think the Park Service plows the roads to the Ahwahnee.

If you go around Christmas, look into the Bracebridge Dinner, a long-standing tradition that is essentially a 1920s recreation of an 1800s fictional version of a medieval English banquet. Based on a story by Washington Irving, with staging (and some props) by Ansel Adams.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,474 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Roads in Winter

The Ahwahnee is a better location if you're concerned about snowy roads. You can use Hwy 140 all the way to the Arch Rock Entrance and take the gentlest lowest elevation approach.

Tenaya Lodge is on Hwy 41 at 5,000'. From there, you enter the Park and go down to Wawona 4,000' then up to Chinquapin (turn off to Badger Pass) at 6,000', then down to the Valley at 4,000'. That's a lot of curves and some high elevation!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Roads in Winter

Thanks very much. Sounds like the Ahwahnee and route 140 is the way to go! Better get on the phone and see if there is a room left during the holidays! Thanks again!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Roads in Winter

The park keeps the roads well plowed, but the NPS is more likely to require chains than CHP... or at least may ask to see your chains...

140 through Maraposa is least likely to require chains, but can...

Randy

5. Re: The Roads in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 06:16