We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which parks are the best

CT
5 posts
Save Topic
Which parks are the best

I am visiting southern Utah for 5 days. I know I can't see everything. Which parks are a must see? I also would like to white water raft. Any suggestions? Also thought we'd like to rent a jeep or ATV. any suggustions for that?

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which parks are the best

All of the national parks and monuments are must sees. :-)

But since you want to include white water rafting I would head to Moab to visit Arches, Canyonlands (both Island in the sky and Needles districts), Dead Horse Point State Park. You would probably be able to include Monument Valley in a five day trip as well. I wouldn't try for more.

Westwater is the must do whitewater river trip. It is a whole day. Well I take that back, Cataract Canyon is the must do, but that would require more time,,,so do Westwater.

You could also rent a jeep in Moab to explore some of the dirt roads, trails. How experienced at that are you?

Mentioned in this post
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which parks are the best

First of all there are no "best" parks, they are all unique and incredible in their own right.

But for white water, ATV or Jeep rental and incredible scenery it's hard to beat Moab especially if you've never been here before. Arches and Canyonlands NP's are in our backyard.

White water rafting ranges from 1/2 day to weeklong overnight trips in Class I to Class IV rapids and everthing in between.

There are seemingly endless miles of backcountry dirt roads and jeep trails to drive, most leading to another fantastic view.

Mtn. bike rental, hummer tours, sunset river tours, jet boat tours, hiking, etc. activities are endless here.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
CT
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which parks are the best

My husband thinks he's Mario Andretti. LOL We have never owned a jeep but have 2 ATV's and he rides a motorcycle. I drive the ATV's also but just around the yard doing chores. I don't know if that qualifies as experience. Are the off road trips in a group or alone?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which parks are the best

Well, I'm no expert but I would expect its the guys who think they know what they are doing, but have no real experience in driving the trails and dirt roads around Moab who get into the worst trouble.

That being said there are lots and lots of trails and lots of levels of difficulty, and you could have a blast if you chose the right trails for you. Some of the best places in the Needles district of Canyonlands need 4 wheel drive to get to, and Ducs of Hazard swears by the Potash road which leads to the Shafer trail in the Island in the sky district.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which parks are the best

"...and Ducs of Hazard swears by the Potash road which leads to the Shafer trail in the Island in the sky district."

Does he? I hadn't noticed. :-)

CT
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which parks are the best

Thanks for all your advice. It sounds like you live in an awesome place!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which parks are the best

lol

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which parks are the best

Hi

For the ATV rental. Before you decide on hiring one go the Canyonlands Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Point overlooks. Go to the rim and look at those tiny dirt roads so far away. (Better bring binoculars) Then decide if you want to drive them. In 5 days it will be hard to see all sights in southern Utah so it depends where you're coming from. Are you flighing Las Vegas? Salt Lake City? Denver or are you driving from CT?

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which parks are the best

Did anyone mention the Potash Road/Long Canyon/Schafer Trail/White Rim Trail/Rte 278/Pucker Pass/Rte 191 loop yet? :^)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which parks are the best

Hey Ducs,,,,just wondering how much time we should devote to that round trip????