We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Zion

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Zion

After only being home for what...2 months now, I’m finally starting to get writing some TRs. A little bit of background, we [Mum, Dad and myself, DD19], did a roadtrip around California, and part of the Southwest hitting some Nationals Parks, in total we took nearly 10,000 photos, travelled 3874 miles through 4 states over 5 weeks.

Pioneer Lodge: We stayed here for 2 nights, visiting Zion. The only negative I really have to say is they enforced a strict 3pm check in policy [we arrived at 1pm], and the girl was abit rude about it, and not very helpful when I asked about the town.

Room was very nice, was a changed to have a different looking room for a change. They have a nice little pool, looking at the mountains, was lovely to sit and admire the view. Only 5-10mins drive to get to the park, the town of Springdale is very cute, I loved it and they had great restaurants [try Oscars]. We had breakfast one morning from the coffee shop, which was nasty. Free parking, though the lot got crowded, coffee maker, fridge and microwave in the room too.

=================================================

Tues 6th July: We backtracked on yesterday’s drive into Bryce, to get out of Bryce, we drove on Mt Carmel Hwy, only facing minor delays due to the construction. We arrived in Springdale at 1pm, and tried to check-in at the Pioneer Lodge, but they had a strict 3pm check-in.

So we grabbed a coffee, and had a look around Springdale, and got a quick bite to eat from the lodge’s restaurant next door. We grabbed some ice cream from across the street, and browsed some of the stores, which basically had all the same merchandise.

We checked in at 3pm, and went and relaxed by the pool for a few hrs, it was nice and hot in Springdale. The hotel was full of Europeans that were very noisy by the pool! After showering, we walked down to Oscar’s around 9ish.

Oscar’s is lovely, we sat outside it was still warm, with gorgeous mountainous scenery surrounding us. The food was very food, Dad and I had burgers, Mum had a steak salad we then shared brownie ice cream sundae for dessert. Finished the night off with a game of cards.

==============================================

Wed 7th July: We were up early this morning on the Riverside Walk by 9am. We had breakfast at the lodge’s coffee shops which was nasty, they only had bagels left which were stodgy. We took the car into the park, then hopped on the park’s shuttle and rode it up to The Temple of Sinawawa. The trail was nice, I was expecting more sights, we sat at the end of the trail, watching people start their walk in the very cold Narrows.

We got the shuttle down to Big Bend and walk from there to the Weeping Rock, great views. We headed to the Zion Lodge, and had some snacks [trail mix!] and drinks [Zion’s own!]. Started our last trail to the Lower Emerald Pools, before even crossing the bridge, a snake crossed my path!

It was heating up now, and getting hot I was watching out for snakes now on the way to the pools. Once there, is was very refreshing the mist of the weeping water. It was amazing to see water weeping through those huge rocks!

We then watched the informative film at the museum, and went out of the park for a late lunch [3pm] at the deli, at few doors down from the Pioneer Lodge. Nice sandwiches, had ice cream from afters, like the different flavours they had.

We relaxed by the pool again, for a few more hours. Then after showering went to Zion Pizza and Noodles for dinner, we were going to go back to Oscars, but decided to try something new. The food was good, Mum and I had pasta and Dad has pizza – not as good as Oscars. Finished the night playing cards.

==============================================

Thrus 8th July: Yesterday, after watching the Zion film at the museum we decided we were going to go to Kolob Canyon, before heading to Las Vegas. Kolob Canyon is only about an hr from the main park, and is much less visited, we got there at 8am. Once there we checked out the Visitor’s Centre, and did the 5 mile scenic drive. Kolob Canyon was nice, but I wouldn’t go out of your way to visit it.

After that we stopped in St. George, UT for breakfast, and arrived in Vegas by noon.

============================================

Overall, I really like Zion and Springdale. I would love to come back and do the Narrows and Angel's Landing trail.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,902 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Zion

You had a nice overview of Zions, and yes, do come back for the two most classic Zion's hikes.

Agree about Kolob, it is a great little section, but not really a must do if it is out of your way.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Zion

Thanks for the comments; if you interested in reading ALL of our trip, here's it is one big thread!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k39896…

3. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Zion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Springdale