We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

phoenix,az
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

We have a small party that will be hiking the narrow mid Aug and after doing some research it appears that the whole town is in a conspirasy to not offer breakfast to hikers hiking the narrows. Everything opens at 7:00am and I'am sure they know the shuttle time is at 6:30am. Am I crazy what do you think and does anyone have any information on getting something to eat before hiking 16 miles..

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

I am not too sure about all the hotels in Springdale, but I am pretty sure that not one of them offer a complimentary breakfast in the morning. Last time I stayed there I chose a hotel with a kitchenette so that I could whip up something myself. Likely you do not have that option in your party. One option is to buy supplies for a cold breakfast the day before or when arrriving.

Also the two places that offer breakfast to my knowledge are Cafe Soleil and Mean Joe Bean Coffee House. I am not too sure as to their hours. There are a few business directories that have phone numbers that you can call.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

If you are doing the top down through hike then you obviously will be packing something for lunch and snacks. Like Widmarsh suggested I'd just plan on packing a breakfast as well.

Even the cheapest hotel rooms there should have coffee makers and a small fridge... the Zion Park Motel also had a microwave that we used to cook oatmeal. So maybe there is somewhere open that early but if there is not you should be able to plan ahead for it and get something.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

The Best Western Zion Park Inn does offer a complimentary breakfast, as a voucher to the Switchback Grille next door; just there in June. Wonderful breakfast, but no help to the OP as they also open at 7am. We weren't up that early, so didn't look to see if anything else is open.

I think packing breakfast and/or getting something to eat in the room is about the only option. Perhaps call a few of the hotels and see if any of the FD folks know anywhere that'd be open that early?

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

I thought I was really smart by bringing my own breakfast bars and getting a cup of coffee at Cafe Soleil across the street from the park entrance.

They wouldn't let me on the shuttle bus with food and drink!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

Danny, was that the park shuttle or the private pay shuttle?

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

It was the National Park shuttle. I didn't know there was a private pay shuttle.

I've always stayed at the Canyon Ranch Motel. They do not have a coffee maker in the room. They make coffee in the front office at 7:00 AM (give or take).

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

The private pay shuttle is one through Zion Adventure center or similar which can take you to the one way trailheads at East Rim or Lava Point, or Chamberlains ranch for the Narrows. Hopefully they would be less likely to care.

I'm not sure how you were targeted on the park shuttle either. I've taken food every time I go on it since we had food and drinks packed in our bags for our all day adventures in the park.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

I think having it packed in the bags is OK.

I was standing there with a cup of coffee in one hand and eating a granola bar with the other. I was just about the only person there that early..

The driver pointed out to me the sign that said something to the effect of "no eating or drinking on the bus". The driver added that drinking water is OK.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

We just returned from Zion and hiked the Narrows our last day. Even with a quick breakfast at Oscars and on the Springdale shuttle to the park at 7:30am and Zion park shuttle River Walk trail head we where able to cover both the main canyon well up to the springs along with a 2 mile round trip into the side slot canyon many people turn around at. As far as food and beverages on the buses you can carry food and water in your packs and pouches with no issues, they just don't allow you to eat or drink on them. The buses can get pretty cramped early and late in the day.

10. Re: Hiking the Narrows and breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Springdale