We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stargazing

Which Springdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Europe
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Stargazing

Hi,

is there any company or guide offering stargazing tours (for Zion NP) ?

Edited: 30 March 2014, 12:20
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stargazing

Southern Utah is an amazing place for star gazing. In Zion, it is a bit more challenging as you're located within a canyon so a good portion of the sky is blocked. You can drive to a number of locations where more sky is visible. Here's a past thread with good information:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143057-i1449-k429…

Do check with the park as there may be a ranger led tour. Also, look at the lunar cycle for the time of your visit. Ideal conditions are when the moon is NOT full. A full moon really brightens the sky and diminishes the stars.

If Bryce Canyon is on your itinerary, make that your spot for star gazing. Because all of the public areas at Bryce are on top of a plateau, nearly the full sky is visible - it's quite amazing. You'll find frequent ranger led tours there along with telescopes to use. Quite fun and educational.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,595 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stargazing

I don't of a commercial compamy. But I have been to a ranger program which offered it. This took place in the park lodge. Check the newspaper when you are there to see what the ranger programs offer. They are nearly always worth attenting.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stargazing

I checked through the spring newspaper for Zion and did not see any ranger programs specifically singling out star/night programs. Zion's main canyon and Springdale sit in a deep canyon with sandstone monoliths towering two thousand or more feet above the floor. that being said, the panorama of the night sky is not that good. You can escape the canyon obviously, and get onto the mesa tops and higher elevations. There are a couple of tours that can be hired from town that may take you on an evening route. To my knowledge, they do not focus on star gazing.

As already stated, Bryce is a completely different park. It is a higher elevation area where there are very few taller landscape features protruding into the horizon. At Bryce, there is also no influence from light pollution. The park from time to time presents evening programs as park of a ranger program. Many people include Bryce as part of their vacation plans, because it is so close to Zion. I encourage you to consider doing the same, if the night sky is a main focus of your trip.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,010 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stargazing

Not sure when your trip is, but both Bryce and the Grand Canyon have star parties or astronomy festivals.

www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/astrofest.htm

nps.gov/grca/…grand-canyon-star-party.htm

There is a sunset Jeep tour up to Smith Mesa. The same area (off Kolob Terrace Road) is great for stargazing too.

http://www.zionjeeptours.com/zion-tours.html

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stargazing

Bryce is one of the better parks when it comes to Astronomy and star gazing. bryce has a festival in June every year. On other summer weekends there is usually some astronomy thing going on there.

6. Re: Stargazing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 06:16