We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

Hi everyone...we will be going to Vang Vieng for 2 nights in January 2013. We have two children who will be 13 & 16 years. We are visiting the area for the scenery and want to do bike riding, walking, caving, kayaking and of course some tubing. We want to keep well away from the party scenes and noise.

We will either do day tours or an overnight one incorporating all our interests above.

Any suggestions would be appreciated of tours or places to stay that you have enjoyed in the area. We will be coming from Vientiane to travel to Vang Vieng then return to Vientiane at end of 2 nights. Thanks Franji

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

I would stay at the Vansana Hotel. This has a nice pool, though you may not need that in January. The Vansana is away from the backpacker crowd and is right on the Nam Song River. I stay there whenever I am in VV.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

Thanks, the vansana has average reviews ... Any other suggestions ? Any overnight tour companies recommended adventure based ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

Hi,

I agree with rufus. The Vansana is in an excellent location with lovely views and away from the 'element'... Sure the decor is dated, but its comfortable with everything you need.

As far as tour companies, there are many around. We chose Wonderful Tours based on a recommendation from the owner of the Aussie bar in VV and couldn't fault them. You could probably just do day trips without the need of an overnighter...

Check out my blog for info and photos kgbtravels.blogspot.com.au

Enjoy!

- K

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

"Thanks, the vansana has average reviews ... Any other suggestions ?"

Seriously, why bother asking if you do not like the recommendations. Just choose the hotel with the highest rating on TA.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

Thanks Rufuscat...I don't choose a hotel based on ratings alone. Everyone has individual travel tastes and as a family we need to look at what suits us for our needs. I have had two suggestions for the Vansana hotel on this forum. It would be great to have some other ideas from other TA members on places to stay to widen my choice. So yes any other suggestions would be great for us !

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

Villa Vang Vieng and Thavisouk Hotel also have pools. I'd choose the former because it would be quieter. Thavisouk is also a bit further away from the center of town.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

We stayed at villa Vang Vieng in April & can recommend it - it's quiet but close enough to walk to town, has a lovely pool, right on the river and the staff were very friendly. I think we paid about $30 for a largish bungalow.

Tweed Valley...
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

Although you haven't mentioned a budget, somewhere like Elephant Crossing would be perfect. They can also recommend tours, as well.

Safe Travelling,

Greg

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

Thanks for all your great suggestions !! Will look into them all.

This is our first trip to Laos and we are getting very excited about our travel. Cheers Franji

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family place to stay.??...Tours ? etc.Suggestions please !!

Villa Vang Vieng Riverside is new and very nice - has a pool right by the riverside. The bungalows right on the river are $55 and the ones behind about $30.

www.villavangvieng.com

Thavisouk Bungalows ($25-30) are great and have been my favourite for years (note - not Thavonsouk, a differrent place altogether) - so long as there are no Thai tour groups staying. Then you get the inevitable karaoke.