We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is vang vieng really dangerous as i read>?

Which Vang Vieng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
is vang vieng really dangerous as i read>?

i am going to vietnam for a month and i recently encountered vang vieng and got interested in it as it seems somethign different and crazy.. but everywhere i read it sounds like it is so dangerous.. is it really? and do u know of any other cool places i could visit if not vang vieng? thanks!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is vang vieng really dangerous as i read>?

I think Vang Viengs reputation is based on the crazy tubing, that includes,ots of drinking, rope swings.

However, in Augusts lots of bars at the tubing route have been closed, and when I went to VV the tubing was relaxing, with two bars open, no swings etc. so you can peacefully float down the river having a beer without the high risk that was linked with Vang Vieng.

It is a nice place with beautiful scenery and a lively backpacker atmosphere (apparently far more relaxed and less crazy than before - but cannot comment on it as I didnt experience VV before). And it offers a lot of activities besides the famous tubing, including kayaking, cycling, visiting caves etc

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is vang vieng really dangerous as i read>?

VV isn't dangerous at all - the main danger in the past came from leaping into a shallow river without knowing if there are submerged rocks. Skip this activity and its a great place to visit.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is vang vieng really dangerous as i read>?

Ditto #2. It is a lovely place and is only dangerous if you attempt something stupid.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
50 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is vang vieng really dangerous as i read>?

I live in Laos and have been to Vang Vieng, and went tubing, and am alive!! It is only dangerous if you take drugs or excessive alcohol and then attempt to go tubing. Mixing those together is dangerous where ever you are in the world.

Like others have said Vang Vieng is a beautiful place with amazing scenery. It's definitely worth a couple of nights there before maybe heading to Luang Prabang

Malta
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is vang vieng really dangerous as i read>?

thanks for the tips guys :) any other interesting places worth a visit in the laos/ vietnam areas?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is vang vieng really dangerous as i read>?

I'm about to go to Vang Vieng but not for the tubing. I really hope that's been stopped. Last time I was there the noise from the bars was dreadful. I felt sorry for the local people who had to endure it day and night. At Mr. T's Organic Farm, nobody would stay in the accommodation because of the noise. This time I will be painting schools and teaching English and staying for 8 days.

7. Re: is vang vieng really dangerous as i read>?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 07:18