We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Night in Vang Vieng

Which Vang Vieng hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1 Night in Vang Vieng

I am taking the bus from Vientiane to Vang Vieng and will probably arrive after 3pm. I only have time to stay for 1 night in VV and will have to catch the bus to Luang Prabang next evening.

What activities can I do in a day? I was thinking of cycling around town the day I arrive and then kayaking along the river next morning. Is that plausible? Any other suggestions?

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

As the saying goes, 'it is better to have loved and lost rather to to have never loved at all'. We also were in th e position of only having one night in VV, wished we could have had more, but travel arrangements prevented this. 24 hours in VV is better than 0 hours. Rufuscat may be a sage amongst some but his views are very narrow and biased IMO.

Greg

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

Sorry to butt in but thinking of visiting Laos in December-does the tubing still go on r is pretty much over now?

Thanks

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

No its still all going on, but is a little more regulated now.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

Rufus,

As you are recognized for knowledge of the area, I appeal to you for some guidance.

I am solo traveler, age 61, coming to VV Monday; have not checked on bus time etc but have pre-booked hotel for one night.

From hyperthermia experience years ago, anything cold/chilly for extended periods is of no interest to me so drifting down the river at this time of the year may be out. Any suggestions for a two night stay as to day activities? Have contemplated the hot air balloon depending on the weather.

Thanks

Buck aka Hank

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

Rufus,

As you are recognized for knowledge of the area, I appeal to you for some guidance.

I am solo traveler, age 61, coming to VV Monday; have not checked on bus time etc but have pre-booked hotel for one night.

From hyperthermia experience years ago, anything cold/chilly for extended periods is of no interest to me so drifting down the river at this time of the year may be out. Any suggestions for a two night stay as to day activities? Have contemplated the hot air balloon depending on the weather.

Thanks

Buck aka Hank

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

The hot air ballooning is $80 pp. This is expensive for Lao, but cheap in comparison to western countries. There are caves to explore and walks to do. Goto the Organic Muberry Farm for lunch. Three weeks ago we did a great boat ride up the river. My Mum, 93, loved it and the boat drivers were great with her. I agree the water is too cold for tubing.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

internet glitch so no idea if initial response posted

thanks for your input

may i inquire as to boat company used and cost? any particular time of day they do trips?

hot air balloon; many say either sunrise or sunset only...any thoughts?

and FTR I was in VV last night and it was COLD; especially for this southern raised boy who now calls Nicaragua home

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

It is cold here in Vientiane as well. No boat company, just wander down to the river and talk to the long tailed boat drivers. I think dawn or dusk would be great for a balloon ride.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

The cook and I had one of the boats take us up passed the riverside bars then back again. It was much more fun gliding back down the river.

Passing the people in the tubes, they were paddling like ducks trying to make it back into town before curfew.

My wife and I spent six nights in VV and are longing to return for another visit.

Have fun

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: 1 Night in Vang Vieng

Guess what? In the end I spent a total of 3 nights in VV and skipped LP entirely because it was too good. Haha! Went back to Laos a second time in May and stayed in Vientiane for 3 days over the weekend.

Now I'm going back for the 3rd time next month and hopefully I'll be able to check out LP and Plain of Jars this time although I only have a week.