We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vang Vieng this Summer

London, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Vang Vieng this Summer

I plan to go tubing but I don't really want to be surrounded by super loud drunk backpackers in Vang Vieng so I was looking to go during the 'low season' and I planned on going tubing early when the party people would still be sleeping.

Do you think if I went to Vang Vieng towards the end of August, I would not experience so many drunk people?

(By the way I don't mean to be offensive to the people who go there to drink as I've re-read this and it comes across that way!)

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vang Vieng this Summer

You can go any time of year and tube in the morning, and you will have the river more or less to yourself.

Also, the party people tend to hang out at the bars which are mostly situated in the upstream first 1km of the run - the last 4-5km of river has only 1-2 small bars and is quiet most of the time.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vang Vieng this Summer

The tubers I saw when I was there a couple of times recently were neither loud nor drunk. Most tubers start their activities later in the day so early morning would be a good time for you.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vang Vieng this Summer

Vang Vieng aint like it used to be. Very quiet now compared to how it used to be. Very pleasant opportunities to tube down the river without super loud drunk backpackers.

London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vang Vieng this Summer

Nice sarcasm!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vang Vieng this Summer

We were there in January this year. We had three kids in tow, so weren't interested in exposing them to the antics of drunken twenthysomethings.

We actually found VV to be great. I think if you pick the area you stay in - go more south of the town. We stayed at the Thavonsouk Resort so that area is what I mean. We didn't see the 'drunken crowd' type of traveller unless we ventured to the other end of town. There were a couple of loud bars the night we ate in that part of town, but nothing that extreme (was others have said, VV has been tamed a lot).

We went tubing which was great fun. There are only about 4 bars left, and only one of these had bikini clad young people playing volleyball etc. Again, it wasn't that extreme.

We wished we'd had more time in VV, so don't let its former reputation put you off going there. It's lovely, and so much to do that isn't tubing.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vang Vieng this Summer

we were there in November and did tubing through Water cave, where we encountered lots of alcohol smelling Asian guys, so if you want to enjoy it, go either very early or late in the day.

there were few bars along the river with full party, but you do not have to stop there.

7. Re: Vang Vieng this Summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 06:17