We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phonsavan to Paksan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Phonsavan to Paksan

Hi all,

We are looking at travelling from Phonsavan to Paksan in August - can anyone tell me what the road it is like now and approx. travel time?

Many thanks

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

Hello Karen;

Honestly I have not done that route but I have searched in the net and found what you are looking for. Also it will be good if you wait for other tourists to reply you.

From the below blog, the journey will take around 8 hours by bus;

travelblog.org/Asia/…blog-752188.html

Regarding the road condition, I found a very useful thread and it posted last month only, check it out;

rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-repo…

Hope this will help you little bit

Regards,

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

The road is fine by Lao stds and there is a daily bus. If you are headed south it is quicker than going through vangvieng and Vientiane.

Scotts Head...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

Hi, did you do this trip, if so what was the bus like, and what was the road like? Did you encounter any difficulties? We are thinking of taking the same route in November as we wish to head further south.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

The road was newly sealed about 2-3 years ago. I did it in 2012 and it was fine, no difficulties. I passed the intersection where the Phonsavanh road enters Paksan on my bike a few months ago, and stopped for a drink there, and it looked fine and there was lots of traffic coming from that direction, so it was obviously well used.

It is the best option if you want to head south from Phonsavanh without going through VV and Vientiane.

Scotts Head...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

Thank you so much for your reply. We don't particularly want to stop at Paksan but we think Thak Hek from Phonsavan in one day would be a bit much. Would you agree?

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

The bus to Paksan is about 8 hrs, so if you get the first bus from Phonsavanh at 6.30am, you could be in Thakhek by early evening but it would be a long day. Probably better to stop in Paksan, have a nice meal and a few drinks and head to Thakhek or beyond the next morning.

Scotts Head...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

Thank you so much for your quick replies and the advise is very helpful.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

Hello,

Did you make this trip by bus? If so how was it, safe enough ? I am making this trip next week from phonsavan to paksan as I want to go south.

Please let me know I can't find much information!

Thank you so much in advance

Scotts Head...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

Hi, no we haven't made this trip yet, we plan to do so in about a month. The replies I received gave me the confidence to go ahead with this leg of our journey. Please post with your trip, would like to hear how you go.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phonsavan to Paksan

Hi Sandra H,

I just done this trip Phonsavan to Paksan then to Vientiane last week. It is completely possible.

The Road from Phonsavan to Paksan is new and most of it is in good condition. Only a stretch of about 50km is in bad condition. I drove a Ford Everest and have completely no problem with the road. The whole journey from Phonsavan-Paksan-Vientiane takes about 6 hours if you do not stop for food, photo taking etc.

In terms of navigation is quite straight forward. Let's start form Phonsavan town center(Xieng Khouang Hotel).

1)From Xieng Khouang hotel drive west(ie Xieng Khpouang hotel on your right) on the main road along phonsavan town center. Take the left turn that leads to towards plain of jars/Muang Khoun direction (you will see a petrol kiosk before the turn). Alternatively, if you are not sure ask any local and say "Thong Hai Hin(meaning plain of jars) and they should lead you to the turn for plain of jars/Muang Khoun.

2) Once you take the left turn after the petrol kisok, just drive straight. You will pass a morning market soon. Keep driving straight. To confirm you are on the correct road, look out for the "stones" on the side of the road that tells you distance to towns the road is heading to. If you see the word "Muang Khoun" with the distance in km below it, you are on the correct road. Drive 20+ km and you will reach Muang Khoun.

3) Continue to drive straight through Muang Khoun until you see a sign board that indicates" Paksan." Turn right once you see the sign. Now, you are on the way towards Paksan. Just continue driving straight all the way. You will drive through winding mountain roads with great scenery but the road is new and in very good condition except for a few road works.

4) The winding road will eventually ends and gives way to straight roads where you could increase your speed.

5) After travelling on straight roads level roads for some time, you will eventually come to a sign indicating "Paksan". You need to follow the sign and make a right turn. This is where the stretch of bad road starts:( It starts immediately after the turn.

6) After about 50km on rather poor roads, you will again have good roads all the way to paksan.

7) once you arrive at paksan, you will hit a traffic light junction with a major road in front of you(quite obvious that it is a major road). This is route 13 that leads to Vientiane. At the traffic lights, turn right. Use the traffic to tell you that you have hit route 13 because there are no sign board here to tell you direction to vientiane or that you have hit route 13. Once you turn right after ther traffic lights, it's all the way smooth route 13 to Vientiane. Once again, use the Km indicator stones at the side of the road to confirm you are on the correct road. it should state someting like "Capital VT" rather than vientiane.

To summarize on navigation: (Starting from Phonsavan

1. Turn left towards Muang Khon

2. Turn right after passing through Muang Khon

3.Turn right somewhere (Immediately start of bad roads)

4.Turn right onto route 13 at Paksan

Hope it helps. I have some photos of the road form Phonsavan-paksan. I can email it to you if you like. its a very interseting journey.

Mentioned in this post
Xieng Khouang Hotel
Xieng Khouang Hotel
19 Reviews
Phonsavan, Laos