We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

Copenhagen, Denmark
1 post
Save Topic
Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

I will be travelling in march with my family (husband and 2 children aged 5 and 7) around Burma ending up with one week in Ngapali. I am just really confused about which hotel to pick in Ngapali beach? We love small boutique hotels with that special touch in interior, service and surroundings. I am right now looking at Amata which get good reviews - but Sandoway also looks really nice but hasn't got any reviews since january 2010 - why is that?? I dont mind paying the prize if the place is right. Hope to get any good input about what exactly makes the difference between all these apparently lovely hotels in Ngapali!

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

If you don't mind to pay , then go to Aureum. However , don't forget to go through travel agent . You will get better price then hotel direct . For example , in Trip Advisor review , Amazing Ngapali resort state 250 , but if you go through agent , you will get with 1/2 price.

Sandoway former G.M is transfer to other properties and since then , we don't see much review . However , I do not recommend with kids to Sandoway due to their interior design , The staircase and rocks in the rooms scare me for the playful kids.

Amata have nice Spa . Service are not much difference between hotels in Ngapali. If you love to stay in sea views room , do not forget to ask your agent as most of the Aureum , Amata rooms are garden view .

All Amazing rooms are sea view . Again , if you happen to consider Amazing, you should ask deluxe room if you want to fit in 4 of you. Deluxe rooms are large and very comfortable to fit in 4 with one extra bed. Their king size beds are big (7 x 6.5 )ft . 3 people can sleep comfortable. Their suite rooms are sea front , but for 4 people are a bit tight, Amazing suit is two story but expensive.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,708 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

We have just returned from Aureum and I will be doing a very positive review shortly.

We travelled with our grandchildren aged 5 & 11 and they had a great time.

IMHO it is the best hotel,and in the best position.

Sandoway is not really child friendly and we never saw one when we walked past - just loads of bling Italians.

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
556 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

Reasonable rate , best service with local taste is

Thande' Beach hotel ( Myanmar , Ngapali beach )

Recommended by my old guests !!!!

Please check out at

thandebeachhotelmyanmar.com/photogallery.htm

Book through any of local travel agent .......

Istanbul
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

Hello,

We just returned from Aureum Palace (22/01).

We spend 9 unforgettable days here.

Everything is marvelous.Beach,restaurant,staffs.

Choose the seaview rooms which are spectacular.

Only 41 villas,Sandoway is so huge not a boutique hotel.

We made our bookings via SANTA MARIA travels,very reliable.

Contact name: Mr.Zaw.

Have a good trip.

santa cruz...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

We are also planning a trip and were interested in the smaller boutique hotels of great quality also. I was more drawn to the Amata. I would like to know what you decided on and why...? Do you know if Aureum is government owed. For some reason I was under the impression that the Aureum hotels were. Thank you,

Linda

PS we are a couple in our 50's with no children

sydney
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

we have just returned from Ngapali.

we stayed at the bayview hotel and loved it. will be returning next Jan and staying at the Bayview again. we (2 adults/2children) had the executive suite which was fantastic. 2br (main was huge) 2bath rms, big living area, very big front verandah right on beach front.....fantastic!!

great location with about 5 small restaurants outside the hotel. from what I saw I dont think the other hotels have many restuarants across from them.

bayview also has a restaurant/bar on the beach. it also has palm trees on the sand with sun lounges under them. dont think all the hotels have palm trees at beach front??

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

Linda,

Aureum is not government own , however , believe to be government's family money in it .Htoo group of companies , U Tay Za own it .

If you want to avoid , you have to avoid Air Bagan , Treasure hotels and resorts , Pristine Lotus Spa at Inle Lake as well.

Check out for new hotel Tamarind Hotel, I heard , the hotel will be opened soon.

All the hotels have Palms trees at beach front , outside restaurants around except Amazing Ngapali Resort do not have quality out side restaurants near by. Therefore Amazing Ngaplai restaurants price are very reasonable and compare to outside restaurants price.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,708 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

So if you want to avoid hotels like Aureum ( which is the best at Ngapali) you also have to avoid Air Bagan.

As they have the largest network in Burma (other than Myanmar airways) this will very much restrict your air travel.

I hate the Government, but I love the country and the people but I take the view that even if I stay at hotels like Aureum or Inya Lake, loads of my money will be going into the pockets of the many employees who depend on tourist income.

I have stayed at the so called "privately owned" Amata and Sandoway and I much prefer Aureum, a boutique hotel - but do go for a seaview villa-there are only 6.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 08:44
yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

I am become to know that Amata Hotel have sold their share to Myanmar Economic Corporation which is army business body . How true , I don't know but MEC operated Central hotel in Yangon and Ngwesaung too. If you have concern , then Amata also be stayed away.

Firenze
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel in Ngapali Beach

Sono stata all'Amata lo scorso anno a febbraio e mi sono trovata molto bene. Staff molto amichevole, belle camere, ottima colazione, molta tranquillità.Ho comunicato con la mia famiglia con Skipe. Di fronte ci sono 5-6 ristoranti dove si mangia molto bene e si spende pochissimo. Il Sandway è di proprietà italiana, molto bello, pochissima gente e quasi tutti italiani. Si trova proprio accanto all'Amata. L'Amata è in ottima posizione, essendo l'ultimo albergo è il più vicino al villaggio dei pescatori che al mattino verso le 8 tornano con le reti piene di pesce. E' bellissimo e si possono fare ottime foto! Le donne stendono i piccoli pesci su enormi teli blu e ci sono bambini molto carini e molta vita. Aureum è bellissimo ma quando sono andata a vederlo era praticamente vuoto. Rimane al centro della baia.Alcuni anni fa sono stata al Bayview, gestito molto bene dai tedeschi.E' all'inizio della baia e vicino ad un fiume e anche lì ci sono pescatori con le barche che escono al mattino.Sono tutte costruzioni ad un piano, tipo bungalow. In sintesi, Ho camminato molto sù e giù per la spiaggia e se dovessi tornare, tornerei all'Amata resort!

Get answers to your questions about Ngapali
Recent Conversations