We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

News from "Mama Sue's" school in Linthar village.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,832 posts
371 reviews
Save Topic
News from "Mama Sue's" school in Linthar village.

Many visitors to Ngapali Beach have visited the school and been so heartened by the great work done by Sue and her group of teachers and helpers.

I have just received their Summer update which makes wonderful and heartwarming reading.

"It gives us the greatest pleasure to tell you that 4 of our sponsored children have won scholarships, to go to St. Hugh’s College, Summer School, Oxford University, in September.

The Summer School is being sponsored by Aung San Su Kyi, as St.Hugh’s is the college where she attended. They will be accompanied by their teacher,who has also done voluntary work for our charity for years

Four other of our children will also go on an educational visit to the UK,sponsored by Jan Meredith, who was a volunteer computer teacher in March.

As well as learning English, they will have cultural visits in Oxford, Devon and London, and will be taken around the Houses of Parliament, the BBC, take in a show,see Buckingham Palace and the Changing of the Guard, just to mention a few.

These children are all from extremely poor backgrounds, and had not been any further than 9 kilometers, until they came to Yangon to apply for passports and then apply for their visas. They were amazed to see escalators and lifts, the sights, and city life.

Therefore you can imagine what a tremendous experience it will be for them, and one they could never have dreamt of, or will ever forget.

These children could never have had this opportunity, without your sponsorship and donations, giving them the chance of education, and we would like to thank you all, as well of course St. Hugh’s College and Jan Meredith.

MORE GOOD NEWS

A classroom was built at the beginning of March, and computer classes started.There is a waiting list, as the children and young adults are very keen to learn. Solar panels have been installed to supply the classroom with electricity.

56 children are attending our Beginners English Class and there is a waiting list, and in the 2nd English Class we have 57 children. There are now approximately 200 children who have been sponsored

We have been able to help more sick mothers, fathers and children this year and lives have been saved. One father has had a successful bladder operation. A mother has had an operation for stomach cancer, and now she is able to lead a normal life. Another mother was in great pain with kidney stones, and after an operation is now cured.

These are just some of the people we have helped. We have much more work to do."

http://www.myanmar-aid.org/home.htm

Have a look at the website,help if you can and do visit the school if you are at Ngapali Beach, you will be very,very impressed

SS

california
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: News from "Mama Sue's" school in Linthar village.

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Ngapali in October and would like to volunteer at your school. I've tried contacting you via your website but have no reply.

Can you please tell me how to contact you and/or how we go about volunteering?

Many thanks,

Bella

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,832 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: News from "Mama Sue's" school in Linthar village.

Try this

www.myanmar-aid.org/contactus/index.php

or

info@myanmar-aid.org

uk
Level Contributor
164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: News from "Mama Sue's" school in Linthar village.

This is a really heart warming report.

One of the speakers at our Myanmar day, Felicity Goodall, is hosting some of Mama Sue's children at her school in Devon.

I'm near Oxford. if there is anything I can do to help while the children are visiting, do let me know.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,832 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: News from "Mama Sue's" school in Linthar village.

"Mama Sue" also co-owns and runs the adjacent hotel and can be contacted there:-

http://yomacherrylodge.com/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g612368-d2616…

5. Re: News from "Mama Sue's" school in Linthar village.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Ngapali
Recent Conversations