We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving kyaikto for Yangon early in the morning

Which Kyaikto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Leaving kyaikto for Yangon early in the morning

We're looking to do an overnight trip to Kyaiktiyo (from Yangon) in March 2013 but we need to be back in Yangon by 12.30 the next day so that we can catch our internal flight to Heho.

Is there any public transport option that would enable us to reach Yangon by 12.30?

If not, is it possible to organise private transport to Yangon (to arrive by 12.30) and if so, how much would this cost?

What time in the morning do the trucks down the hill to the bus stop?

Many thanks

5 replies to this topic
NY
Level Contributor
186 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving kyaikto for Yangon early in the morning

I can only give the following advice. In order to get down the mountain, you can hike to the truck departure point--this takes about 45 minutes downhill due to switchbacks --or--I believe you can also take the truck from the very top down, which can be an issue depending on whether they allow you as a foreigner because as I understand it, it's usually reserved for Burmese pilgrims.

We were told from our hotel there that we had to walk down to the truck departure point, down a series of switchbacks from the Rock. I only state this because we took the truck all the way up to the drop-off at the top of mountain, which was unusual we were told. We where told we had to pay more at the stop where usually foreigners have to get off and hike up (or this is the gist of what we heard and we ignored paying extra, refused to get off truck, and the truck took us up with all the Burmese pilgrims). In any case, part of your issue is to get to where a truck will take you down to the main town area. The trucks only depart once they are all filled up and so you have to wait for the trucks to fill up (this is same for way up, trucks have to be filled up to depart, so you have to wait). There is a loading stop in the main town area to where you get the trucks up to the Rock--and we had a driver who dropped and picked us up there. I would recommend you would arrange to have a driver waiting for you to at that stop in order to take you to Yangon. I would say from top of mountain, we walked down, with truck time to main loading time that it was about 2 hours total time and then you have to add time to Yangon (I think this is about 2 hours, but may be off there). In any case, my recommendation is to set off at the crack of dawn to get off the mountain and to a car waiting for you at the town loading area to get to Yangon. **I did hear rumor that there were SUV's that could take you all the way up to the Rock, but that it was at over $100USD, however, I don't really know** I am sure there will be some other answers as well as things probably have changed since I was there 6 months ago.

London
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving kyaikto for Yangon early in the morning

I would say 2 hours from the base stop to Yangon is optimistic. I would allow over 3. Our journey took longer, but we did make a number of stops to see interesting things. You will not do that, but you will have to contend with the bad traffic in and around Yangon, which makes journey times hard to predict.

Golden Rock is interesting, but it takes over 5 hours (maybe quite a lot more, depending on how things work out) travelling each way, and if you are going to too rushed to enjoy the early morning light there then it may be worth rethinking that bit of the trip.

Of course, your internal flight may be delayed by several hours, but by the time you know that it will be too late to rearrange your departure from Golden Rock.

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving kyaikto for Yangon early in the morning

We took the earliest bus into Yangoon and didn't arrive there until 2 in the afternoon. Personally I wouldn't risk it - and the rock isn't that great, only my personal opinion but it probably isn't worth all that logistical hassle...(others may disagree).

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving kyaikto for Yangon early in the morning

Good to read of the experiences. We have cancelled our trip to the Golden Rock because of the uncertainty of getting back to Yangon and afternoon flights

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving kyaikto for Yangon early in the morning

Many thanks everyone for your comments - we may look to re-jig our plans.

Does anyone know approximately how much a private transfer from Yangon to the golden rock and back on the next day is?

Thanks

Reply to: Leaving kyaikto for Yangon early in the morning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kyaikto