We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to buy a SIm card for my mobile phone whilst on holiday

Valleta
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
How to buy a SIm card for my mobile phone whilst on holiday

I live in Malta and have a quad band mobile phone. GO, my SIM card provider, does not have a partner provider in the Philippines. I want to make pay as you go phone calls when I am on holiday in the Philippines for four weeks, starting from 31st January 2014. I will be travelling via UK and Riyadh with Saudi Airlines. Though unlikely, does anyone know if it is possible to buy a Filipino SIM card at Heathrow Airport? If not, when I arrive at Manila airport on the 31st, can I buy a cheap SIM card at the airport that will allow me to make phone calls to mobile and landlines in Manila and Southern Leyte?

I want to telephone a guesthouse owner in Manila and the holiday cottage caretaker in S Leyte. If I buy and use a Filipino SIM card, do I just enter the local telephone number? Just to be certain, how many digits should that be please?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to buy a SIm card for my mobile phone whilst on holiday

Buy them at the airport in Manila. It will be much cheaper.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to buy a SIm card for my mobile phone whilst on holiday

In fact you can buy them everywhere for about 50 pesos, malls, shops, sari-sari stores street vendors. People usually text not talk cellphone format 0908 676 1717 landlines see the wiki article …wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_the…

p.s. make sure your phone is not locked into your network, if it is you can get it unlocked or it may be an idea to buy a cheap phone, and then use your home sim for receiving text messages from home , not calls as they charge you for receiving calls and use skype to make calls back to europe

Edited: 13 January 2014, 17:33
Valleta
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to buy a SIm card for my mobile phone whilst on holiday

That's helpful advice. Thank you

Valleta
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to buy a SIm card for my mobile phone whilst on holiday

Your reply has helped me a lot, especially access to the link and its information about area codes. Many thanks.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to buy a SIm card for my mobile phone whilst on holiday

Did you say to your provider that you want ..global roaming... in the Phillipines and they said no?

If you get in the habit of storing all your phone numbers as

+ symbol followed by the country code, it will not matter where in the world you are, your phone will work out how to ring the number.

for the rest of the number, when storing the number

- for mobiles, cut off the first zero

- for landlines, cut off the first zero in the area code.

For Philippines, store numbers as +63

New cheap mobile phones are available from P500, so you can buy a whole new phone to go with your sim card.

Then for "load" you can get that at thousands of places in Southern Leyte. Most small stores will offer to reload your sim card.

It doesn't matter how good your sim card deal is if you don't have coverage. If coverage is important to you, then make it a Globe or Smart sim card.

I have been happily using Globe since 2003 while listening to endless complaints from Smart users.

Globe works most every where I need it.

I have global roaming on my Australian phone. It can choose between Smart or Globe for the best coverage. I notice it is hardly ever on Smart and is mostly using Globe.

I don't go down to Sothern Leyte very often but my Globe sim has certainly worked fine when I have. It certainly works just fine for me in Northern Leyte. I use Globe for the internet too.

Valleta
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to buy a SIm card for my mobile phone whilst on holiday

Thank you Big Jim for your interest and recommendation. You have helped me to decide to buy a SIM card from Globe Telecom, providing my hostess confirms it is OK in her area. It makes economic sense as 'GO' gave me a print out of the rates I would be charged to receive messages and calls from my phone if I used my Maltese SIM when in the Philippines. GO also made it clear I would not be able to make outgoing calls anywhere.

Reply to: How to buy a SIm card for my mobile phone whilst on holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southern Leyte Province