We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile sims in sri lanka?

Crawley
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mobile sims in sri lanka?

Hi, can anyone please tell us the best way to make sure we can use our mobile phones when we are in sri lanka, both to call home (uk) if needed and to make local calss to drivers/guides etc?

Should we buy a pay as you go sim card when we get there and if so which one and where from?

I have an unlocked mobile that should take any sim card.

Regards

Perry

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,528 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile sims in sri lanka?

Hi Perry,

You guessed it. Dialog has the best reputation amongst tourists and a good nationwide coverage. But others (Mobitel, Airtel, Hutch, Tigo - names keep on coming and sadly enough also going) might have slightly cheaper rates and also 'enough' coverage. Buy a SIM in combination with a first top-up, and it's best to activate in one of the (countless) shops; this way eavesdropping of the codes on the street and at times even in rogue shops gets prevented.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Crawley
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile sims in sri lanka?

Thanks Guys

Regards

Sally and Perry

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile sims in sri lanka?

I found the service at the airport to be very good. Last July 08 for $16Aus I got a sim card and enough credit to last my two weeks, with some left over. I mainly texted back home.

Chris

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile sims in sri lanka?

Absolutely Dialog - it has the best coverage in Sri Lanka. You can get the SIM at the Dialog desk in the airport - it is just opposite the Bank desks. I paid Rs 300/= in June, that's only about £1.50 for the card and then put money on the card there and then. After you can buy top up cards all over the island or go into an agent and they top up your credit by phone. If you buy a scratch card best to use it whilst still in the place where you bought it. Not that I expereinced any problems. All of this worked perfectly and it is quite cheap to phone to the UK or send texts. Dialog Coverage is not 100% but there are very few places where it does not work at all but hey I am writing this in Sussex where I have to go upstairs and lean out of the wondow to get my Orange mobile to work! Enjoy your trip.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile sims in sri lanka?

Hi Perry & Sally..

Definately get a local sim for your phone, much cheaper that way and you will save POUNDS!, best one?, well for me it has to be DIALOG, and a 10 minute call home to UK, well around 220 Rupees (just over a pound) after 8 pm Sri Lankan time and all weekends and public holidays, local calls of course much cheaper..

Incoming calls free too..., get one at aiport Dialog shop, or get your driver to stop off on way to your hotel, takes a few minutes, and you need to show your passport, top up available everywhere where you see the red & white KIT or EZ Load signs.(KIT means Keep In Touch)

Happy calling...

Regards

Dave

6. Re: Mobile sims in sri lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Marawila
Recent Conversations