We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Books on Sri lanka?

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good Books on Sri lanka?

Hello

As first time visitors to Sri Lanka we have looked at all the normal guide books, Insight, brandt, berlitz, LP etc so have a good idea of sights, transport, background culture etc

Does anyone have any reccomendations for any good books which describe what makes the country ;'tick'?

Something similar to Very Thai for thailand perhaps

many Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Books on Sri lanka?

I read all the travel books you mentioned. I also bought from Amazon

The Sri Lanka Reader: History, Culture and Politics edited by John Clifford Holt. Was about $26.00.

It is a series of short stories and I found it really helpful. Some of it has 'heavy' material in relation to recent troubles, but overall I highly recommend it.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Books on Sri lanka?

Many thanks

I've ordered from Amazon

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Books on Sri lanka?

If you would like to have an insight into the country in the 1800s, from a westerners point of view, try Palms and Pearls: Or Scenes in Ceylon by Alan Walters. I enjoyed reading it!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Books on Sri lanka?

Thanks for both the recommendations which we've now got and working through

Gives a slightly different perspective from the normal guide books

5. Re: Good Books on Sri lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Marawila
Recent Conversations