We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what about Yala???

budapest
2 posts
Save Topic
what about Yala???

Hello!

We are going to go Sri Lanka in february.

Today our tourist officer got an information from Sri Lanka, that the Yala is closed again. Is it true?

Why?

We decided to go to Wilpattu instead of Yala, but we have read also bad things about W. from last June. What can we do?

Can anyone help us to find an exciting and safe National Park to take a safari trip? We would like to see leopards too, not "only" elephants...

We want to rent a car without driver! Is it safe? Where can we rent a Jeep in Colombo? And how much is it appr. per day?

Thanks for your help!

Shehan Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Sugathe's Yala Jeep Safaris
Yala Excursions
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what about Yala???

Hi there.....

I think i am right in saying that Yala National Park is indeed still open, although some governments have declared it is unsafe for thier citizens, the UK is one of these, so maybe this is why your travel agent is saying this?

As for driving out in Sri Lanka, well NOT a sensible thing to do, the roads and driving is really something that you will not be used to, and can be dangerous to the normal tourist, anyway, it would be just as cheap to hire the card and driver together, costs?, somewhere around 50 to 670 Dollars a day, depending on how much mileage and time you are using him.

Hope this helps a little

Regards

Dave

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what about Yala???

Oooops

Should have course read 50 to 60 Dollars, and not 50 to 670 !!, sorry.

Dave

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,754 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what about Yala???

Hi there,

Wilpattu was more or less closest for the last 2 years already!

The only 100% safe parks now are Minneriya and Kaudulla, both near Habarana. And top quality too, similar to Udu Walawe at least.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what about Yala???

Hi,

I think Erik's suggestion is correct because if i tell you honestly nowadays some problems are there around Yala park. Ex : Thanamalvila,Buttala etc. So to be on the safe side for the moment i think better avoid Yala & udawalawe parks.

Nishantha

budapest
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what about Yala???

Hello,

thanks for your help!

So we should avoid Yala, Udawalawe and Wilpattu too...

We wanted to see leopards:-(

And somebody knows what happened in Yala this week??

Driving out in Sri Lanka is not safe just because of the roads or are there any other reasons?

And except that, could we rent a jeep without driver in

Colombo if we want it?

Please give some idea.

Thank You!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,754 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what about Yala???

Okay, on to both topics:

Yala and Udu Walawe now both have some issues with infiltration by a small group of LTTE cadres, who were expelled from the East and now make these areas unsafe. Should be a matter of weeks before it is safe again and reopened, same happened from October to December last year.

Driving in Lanka is unsafe for a foreigner because of road quality but more so because of traffic behaviour. If you can bring an armoured tank you can survive, otherwise you WILL get accidents and other drivers will try to blame YOU because tourists are supposed cash cows. Moreover you won't enjoy much of the landscape because of the attention needed to the traffic (4 lanes on a 2-lane road, including tuktuks and cows...).

But yes, you can rent cars/jeeps without driver. E.g. Malkey in Colombo.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Avon, CT
Level Contributor
33 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what about Yala???

Hi,

We had scheduled an overnight safari at Yala for late February. Since overnight camping is for the time being prohibited there, our safari has been rescheduled for Uda Walawe. I understand there have been problems in a town east of Walawe and I also understand that a search was undertaken in the park. Does anyone know whether the park is actually open or will reopen by late February. I have already paid in full for the safari with Ecotours/Mahoora Camps.

Thanks.

Craig

Avon, CT
Level Contributor
33 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what about Yala???

Hi,

We had scheduled an overnight safari at Yala for late February. Since overnight camping is for the time being prohibited there, our safari has been rescheduled for Uda Walawe. I understand there have been problems in a town east of Walawe and I also understand that a search was undertaken in the park. Does anyone know whether the park is actually open or will reopen by late February. I have already paid in full for the safari with Ecotours/Mahoora Camps.

Thanks.

Craig

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what about Yala???

Hi Craig

You should contact your tour operator, Uda Walawe is now closed to the public for what the goevernment there calls "prevailing conditions", and today i read soemwhere(online newspaper, but cannot remember what one) that Yala too will again be closed soon.

Regards

Dave

10. Re: what about Yala???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 11:22
Get answers to your questions about Yala National Park