We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yala National Park - travel insurance

Orpington
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yala National Park - travel insurance

Hi there,

I was planning to go to Yala national Park for 1 night beginning of June but none of the Insurance companies I contacted will cover the trip as it is against the FCO advise.

I dont know if I should forget about Yala or go without insurance. Has anyone got any advise?

Thanks!!

Gaelle

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yala National Park - travel insurance

Dear Gaelle,

Despite the FCO advise everyday lots of tourists visits Yala as far as i know becuase most of them are eager to see leopards, sloth bear etc. So i think you have to decide whether to go or not.

Nishantha

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yala National Park - travel insurance

Hi Gaelle,

Forget about Yala or go without insurance is totally your decision, but remember that even simple accidents (not terror related) and illness are not covered.

Also remember that there is no guarantee that you will see sloth bear and/or leopards. I have been to Yala 3 times and I didn't have the luck to see either.

An alternative to Yala could be Udawalawe National Park. The park is famous for its large elephant populations. In this park one can observe elephants at any given time of the day. Other than Elephants water buffalo, spotted & barking deer, wild boar, sambhur, jackal & ruddy, grey & striped necked mongoose and a great variety of birds are also found in this park.

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yala National Park - travel insurance

Nothing is guaranteed in Nature. That's a basic theory. If you go for a park to see animals you should understand that basic principle. What i mentioned my earlier post is this is the best season to spot a sloth bear in Yala but it doesn't mean that seeing a bear is guaranteed. If you cannot spot a bear during this season its your hard luck. Out of my four visits for this year i spotted bear for twice and leopard for thrice. It all depends.

Udawalawe is not famous for spotting leopards.

Nishantha

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yala National Park - travel insurance

Nishanta,

No need to teach me the basic principles of nature, BUT many drivers/guides in SL more or less promise their customers that they will (not might) see leopards and sloth bears in Yala.

Who said that Udawalawe is famous for spotting leopards? I said that Udawalawe is famous for elephants.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yala National Park - travel insurance

Hi there....

Yep, agree with Hans on this one, if you have an accident, or even a simple illness, loss ofmoney, valuables ect while travelling to Yala, AND surrounding areas while it it is against FCO advice to do so, then your travel insurance WILL BE VOID, and maybe for the whole trip too!, may well be lovely place to visit, but really is it worth that risk??, your choice of course.

UK travel operators and or thier reps in Sri Lanka will NOT take you there, so really down to local guides ect.

Sorry Nishantha, but you should NOT advise UK people to go to Yala while this advice is in place from UKs FCO !

Regards

Dave

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yala National Park - travel insurance

Dear Hans,

Sorry if you feel that i was trying to offend you but i never tried to teach you about the Nature.I was just trying to express my views about the Yala and trying to explain that Udawalawe is not an option for Yala because Leoprad, Sloth bear etc. cannot be spotted in udawalawe.

I know for sure many tourists even from UK still travel to Yala in order to see leopards,bears etc. Sorry i don't know about your travel UK FCO advise.

Nishantha

Orpington
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Yala National Park - travel insurance

Thank you all for your advise.

Still uncertain about what to do. I just hope the FCO will change their advise against going to Yala before I go there!

Gaelle

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yala National Park - travel insurance

Nishanta,

The majority of tourists to Sri Lanka do not check their governments' travel advices or visit travel forums before their holidays. In fact they are ignorant about travel insurances might be null and void

Many countries (including UK, Germany, Australia, USA, Sweden and Denmark) warn about travels to Yala. The only countries I am aware of that do not have that warning are Canada and Ireland.

Dave and myself have often pointed out the UK warning, esp. when Sri Lankan guides/drivers have recommended visiting Yala in the forum.

Hans

9. Re: Yala National Park - travel insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Yala National Park
Recent Conversations