We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to organise a tour?

Which Yala National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Taunton
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
How to organise a tour?

Hi All,

I have booked to stay in the Chayaa Wild Hotel in April - does anyone know hoe I go about organising a National Park tour?

Do I just book at the hotel?

Anyone know?

G

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to organise a tour?

Hi G,

Yes the hotel can arrange. Or the tuktuk drivers waiting outside. Or the jeeps you pass in Tissa on your way to the hotel, your driver will know. Just make sure they quote a reasonable price and no conning: around Rs 3,000 entry fee per adult and around Rs 4,500 jeep hire.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to organise a tour?

or you can ask the reception to make the booking ...... now you know the price.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to organise a tour?

I was in Yala Park 3 days ago March 28 2012. we are couple so have to rent whole jeep 16000 rupees for 2, standard jeep cheaper but not comfy chairs for such a shocking bumpy road for 10 hours on it, should pay some more for a luxury jeep. I recommend other should talk to tourists in the hotel if you meet them and share a jeep before book a jeep. reccommend take half day tour. all day tour 12 hours very tiring and not much to see in the afternoon. But if you want to see many elephant , need to stay till 3-4pm, they will come out and play.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to organise a tour?

Yes but you could then as well do the afternoon safari only. The elephants, like all other wildlife, are most active around dusk and dawn...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to organise a tour?

I agree. I saw 2 baby leopards in the tree sleeping, cant see much bcoz branches cover their body. Thats pretty much it for leopards part in the morning

York, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to organise a tour?

How did you get one? We are visiting in August this year and need advice on how to get the best out of our two days. As there are four of us we would prefer our own vehicle, and am thinking maybe do an early morning tour one day and afternoon/evening tour the next - what would you recommend now that you have been and should be try and book in advance from the Uk or wait until we get there?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
327 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to organise a tour?

Ouch...16000 is a lot of money even for a luxury jeep. Not sure of your definition of "luxury", but in my several years of travel into Yala, I am yet to see a "luxury" jeep that would cost 16000. The only luxury vehicles I have seen are the private ones driven in by Colombo families.

Jeeps are reserved by the vehicle, and the price should not increase by the number of people travelling in it. The average price for a jeep (7-8 persons) is 4500 for a morning OR evening tour. I have never taken the whole day tour as most animals go into the thick brush due to the heat....and there no suitable toilet facilities inside the park. the only two toilets they have in there are absolutely horrific.

Yes, the roads are bumpy, but that's how it is in the jungle, and should not be "shocking". A ten hour drive would be torture....if the driver actually drove around for 10 hours, which would not be possible without refuelling.

If you need a reliable jeep driver who will not trick you, PM me and I will send you the telephone number of the guy I have used for years. Otherwise, there are plenty to choose from in Tissa, and from near the junction on the approach to Chaaya Wild.

Robbie

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
43 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to organise a tour?

We are going to stay in Chaaya Wild Yala in November and we prebooked safari via email (recommended here in forum) They are going to pick us up directly from hotel. Tours are in the morning (6 am) and after 3 pm.

If you want any more details please send me a private message.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 11:27
9. Re: How to organise a tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 11:32
10. Re: How to organise a tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 11:35
Get answers to your questions about Yala National Park