We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight camping trip in Yala park - any thoughts?

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overnight camping trip in Yala park - any thoughts?

Planning a trip to Yala in early January and our guide book suggests that you can book an overnight camping trip. Has anyone done this and is it recommended i.e. better chance of seeing animals? Any ideas on costs? Any recommendations on companies (obviously would like to know its reputable and safe so we don't become something's midnight snack!).

Many thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight camping trip in Yala park - any thoughts?

Camping inside national parks is no longer allowed. All campsites are now outside the parks and IMHO highly overpriced.

Hans

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight camping trip in Yala park - any thoughts?

Yeah, agree with Hans,

I was there a couple of weeks ago and based myself at Lakes edge in Tissa. The tour that I went with started with a 5am pick up for a 6am start at Yala offices. We saw elephants, crocodiles, leopards, peacocks, wild boar, mongoose, water buffalo and every other animal/bird Sri lanka could throw at us.

Quite amazing but I don't see a benefit in staying in the park overnight. Animals need to sleep too :-)

Mark

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight camping trip in Yala park - any thoughts?

Thanks Hans and Mark - that's really helpful. Tissa seems the best place to stay but we also want to see the evening Puja at Kataragama - could we do Yala from there?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight camping trip in Yala park - any thoughts?

Yes, that is possible. You can also visit Kataragama from Tissamaharama.

Hans

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight camping trip in Yala park - any thoughts?

Kataragama is only around 10 km's away from Tissa

6. Re: Overnight camping trip in Yala park - any thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Yala National Park