We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

HI, I am lucky enough to be visiting Sri Lanka in Mar/April 2012 and am planning on climbing Adam's Peak. I want to get the 19:05 train from Ella to Hatton (which is due(!) to arrive at 23:30). Does anyone know if there would be bus / Taxis / Tuktuks around at that time of night to go to Dalhousie?

My only other option is to get an earlier train and spend some time in Hatton / Dalhousie. I will be getting the train from Hatton to Kandy the next day and also wanted to know if i would be missing out on the scenery from Ella to Hatton if i go at night or is the Hatton to Kandy enough to make up for the first part of the journey!

Thanks

Steve

Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Ah great! Thank you! How long would the drive be from hikkaduwa by taxi?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,077 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

A nasty one, as you have a mountain massive in between. Forces a detour Hikka-Panadura (you can use expressway for this part) - Avissawella - Hatton; using the E-way I'd say 5 hours, without that 6 hours.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Oh that doesnt sound good. Do you think this itinerery is ok

1- airport to hikkaduwa

2-hikkaduwau to mirissa

3-mirissa to tangalle

4-tangalle to uda walawe

5-uda walawe to dalhousie

6-dalhousie to negombo. Then airport next day.

We have 14 nights in feb. Will uda walawe be a better drive to dalhousie? Dont want to spend all the trip travelling

Your help is much appreciated :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,077 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Hi again,

I'd say about 5 hours UW to Dalhousie along normal highways, and 3.5 hours if the byway Beragala area-Bogawantalawa is accessible. It got improved last year and now should be accessible about 10 months per year for a 2WD, the remaining months it has so much flooding and muddyness that a 4WD is required.

The other transfers all are 3 hours or less except [6] which is 5 hours.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

You are brilliant thank you!

Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Hi Erik

I just made the journey from hikkaduwa to Dalhousie and I never feared for my life so much driving up round the mountains with no barriers. If u looked out of the car u could just see a massive mountain drop. Trucks and buses flying past.

I'm nervous now to make our way to hatton tomorrow after the climb. Is it the same kind of experience going from Dalhousie to hatton train station ? as I'm sure our driver passed hatton and seemed dangerous. Please let me know if it's as scary to try and arrange some other route

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,077 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

Hi there,

Yes but not much choice. These are the Lankan mountain roads, also between Dalhousie and Hatton. Ask the driver to slow down a bit, maybe...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

18. Re: Adam's Peak - Transport from Hatton at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 09:15