We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Hatton - anything interesting?

Which Hatton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Hatton - anything interesting?

Hello all,

We have narrowed our itinerary down to stay on the 9th Aug at Ceylon Tea Trails (near Hatton). 2 questions:

1) We arrive on the 8th at 1000 but don't need be at Tea Trails until the 9th. Where is most feasible and interesting to stay over the night (Colombo, Negombo, Kandy, Tissa , K'gama, anywhere else) taking into consideration rush hour traffic on the 9th in the morning?

2) A driver we are talking with tells us that there has been rain in Hatton and therefore we can't get there. Find it hard to believe as the hotel is fully booked. Is this correct?

Thank you

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,104 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Hatton - anything interesting?

Hi there,

Kandy seems best, also because it has lots of charms of its own. And crappy info from the driver - yes there have been a few mudslides disturbing the roads too but they're getting cleared quickly, hence travel (albeit slower) is possible.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Hatton - anything interesting?

Hi Erik,

you are prolific and helpful! Thank you.

I looked at a map properly and saw where K'gama is - didn't realise it was so far.

We have 2 nights in Kandy (10 - 12) so I suppose my preference is not to go there for the 8th as well. Is there any reason to spend a day (probably from 1100 - 0800) in Negombo on the 8 - 9th?

Or if my gut is telling me to save Kandy for later, is Colombo worth a day? Much more into cultural sites, not interested in shopping centres. But with this option, is getting out of Colombo towards Hatton on the 9th in the early AM a pain in the bum? (In which case, I suppose Negombo and relaxing on the beach is called for?)

Sorry for such silly detailed questions - just trying to make sure we make the most of our time in Sri Lanka.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,104 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Hatton - anything interesting?

Hi again,

Well THAT was not clear in your story, you simply asked for good sight between the two. Kitulgala might be an option then, scenic river town with nature treks and famous for rafting too. Colombo-Hatton is about 3.5 hours even with rush hour and CTT another hour from Hatton.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Hatton - anything interesting?

Agree kithulgala is the best option i could also think of

5. Re: Airport to Hatton - anything interesting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2015, 20:15