We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coban adventures

California
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coban adventures

My 18 year old son and I would like to spend a few days in the Coban area enjoying cave exploring, swimming, white water rafting. (Pools of Semu Champey, Lanquin caves, candeleria caverns) We are adventurous, but my husband wants us to be safe. Should we get on a tour? Our Guatemala vacation starts in Antigua then to Coban area, then to Peten/Tikal and back home to CA. How about transportation to Coban then to Tikal? I'd prefer to fly out to GC at end.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coban adventures

I don't think you need to get on a tour to explore Coban and Tikal. Now, from Antigua you my find a tour operator offering direct transportation to Coban. But the problem is that they use vans where you'll be crammed for the six hour ride. So, I would take a shuttle from Antigua to the airport in GC, spend a day in GC which is perfectly safe, despite what some fearmongers that never been there might tell you. Visit the museums specially the museum or archeology and ethnology, Ixchell museum, the central market. You can also find several good hotels, fast food restaurants, and internet cafes around zone 1 which is perfectly safe during the day. I have stayed at Hotel Sevilla, a real clean hotel with private bath and cable TV for Q170 single. But Hotel Panamerican is the best for a few more dollars. But I also read good reviews about Hotel Spring and other hotels.And then the next day take Monja Blanca http://www.tmb.com.gt/horarios.htm

they have hourly service. But for confort reasons I recommend you take the 9 or 10:30 Pullman Especial to Coban. They make a lunch stop where you can enjoy good food with clean restrrooms. Go to www.cobanav.net for hotels and tours information in Coban. Now, from Coban you'll find plenty of transportation via Sayaxche where you cross the La Pasion river to Flores/Tikal. It's a six hour ride but I haven't read of anything that might make me think is not safe to go this way. For hotel information in Flores go to www.corpetur.com or www.santanapeten.com or www.guatemalastory.com. Now on your way back from Flores why not spend a couple days enjoying the the rio dulce area, about three hours from Flores www.mayaparadise.com And from there its about five hours to GC on Litegua www.litegua.com. I was there back in Jan and stayed at the Doña Alida hotel in Livingston afeter checking out other hotels.

On that same street facing the ocean you find other hotels too. From what I read,Finca Tatin is a good place too www.fincatatin.centroamerica.com

Good luck.

2. Re: Coban adventures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 06:34
Get answers to your questions about Coban