We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with bus timetables in Guatemala. Around Coban?

Which Coban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Help with bus timetables in Guatemala. Around Coban?

Hello all,

I am planning the following trip in Guatemala. I am in Cancun now, I will take the bus to Flores via Belize City in the next few days.

My itinerary is going to look like that:

Flores - Coban (in Coban maybe trip to Lanquin, Semuc Champey)

Coban - Chichicastenango

Chichicastenango - Panajachel ( buses: 9am, 11.30am, 12.30pm, 1pm)

Panajachel - Antigua (one bus: Pullman at 11am)

Antigua - Guatemala City

My problem is that I just cant find the bus timetables online! I went through the Lonely Planet, but still no idea how to get to from Flores to Coban then to Chichicastenango. No idea about the trip to Lanquin, Semuc Champey from Coban either.

Is there a universal bus website for the country by any chance? There meant to be many shuttle bus services, how can I check their timetable?

I am a bit anxious, as I will have around 10 days then I have to get back to Cancun, as I have a return flight from there, so time is an issue for me.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

4 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with bus timetables in Guatemala. Around Coban?

No universal site, sorry to say. There are tourist shuttles between most places. With only 10 days, I'd rethink your itinerary, though. I'm assuming you're planning to visit Tikal - I recommend staying at least a night in the park. If you bag the Coban/Lanquin idea, you can save yourself 2 full travel days by taking a night bus to GC and continuing with the rest of your itinerary. With just 10 days and the travel from Cancún and back, I'd focus on Tikal, Antigua, and Lake Atitlán with a quick visit to Chichi - that's a lot imo. ¡Buena suerte!

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with bus timetables in Guatemala. Around Coban?

Hello there. www.thebusschedule.com/gt is where you can find the schedule for "some" of the bus routes around the country. From Flores to Coban you can easily find direct transportation via Sayaxche that may not be on the bus schedule site. But from Coban to Panajachel via Chichicastenango or to get to some other places you may have to change buses. And that's why I have to agree with Stacey about 10 days not being enough time to include the most interesting sights in the country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with bus timetables in Guatemala. Around Coban?

Many thanks for the replies, I am already back from Guatemala and missed Coban/Lankin/Semuc Campey, simply there was not enough time. Instead of rushing, I spent more time in San Pedro, it's a great place to chill. It took quite a lot of time to get around, especially all shuttles go through Antigua/Guatemala City and on my way back to Cancun (I had a flight from there), I had to go to Flores again. I loved the country, I'll definitely back.

In terms of shuttles there is only one shuttle from Flores in the morning to Lankin (8 hours); from Antigua there are two shuttles one in the morning (I believe at 7am) and one in the afternoon (2pm). It's also a 7-8 hours ride.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with bus timetables in Guatemala. Around Coban?

Glad you had a good trip. I'm sure your feedback about the shuttles will be very useful to to other travellers.

Reply to: Help with bus timetables in Guatemala. Around Coban?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Coban