We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The truth about Nicaragua Safety

Which Diriamba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, FL
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The truth about Nicaragua Safety

Hello out there fellow travelers!

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip with another couple. We want adventure, nature, and safety. (Obviously my mate and I don't want to put our beautiful women in any danger)

After doing hours of research, we decided on Nicaragua. After many MORE hours, I find a beautiful and affordable beach-house for rent in Pochomil. Perfect!

We're frickin' excited.

Days go by. Suddenly my mate's wife changes her mind, pulling a complete 180. Someone at her work told her about how crime and kidnapping rates are rapidly escalating, and now she's terrified. She's terrified, and we're ticked.

So now she wants Costa Rica, assuming since it's more "popular", it'll be safer.

So my question: Who has helpful info for me that may help me change her (or MY) mind?

Thanks so much in advance. Cheers.

::christopher

Phoenix
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

It is safe, it is safe, it is safe !

Firstly, you do not do stupid stuff. You are not in the wrong place at the wrong time. You do not flash amounts of cash around. You do not dress like royalty. If you rent a car, then insist on one that does not have HERTZ in big letters on the back window, the roads are dangerous at night, not so much from criminals but from darkness, livestocks, bicyclists, drunk people, etc.

Nicaraguan people are incredibly gracious considering they have so little things. And you will find adventure, nature, and lots of kind and generous poor people.

Started going to Nicaragua with volunteer medical team about 10 years ago and just kept on going. Now I own several pieces of property and visit every 2 or 3 months. Have never, I repeat never, had any safety issues in that country.

Got more questions ? PM me and I will send you my cell number !

JFDI !

--

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

Plenty of people have put up a post about being worried coming to Nicaragua and many of the tourista that have visited the country have replied in a very positive way, go ahead and take a look at these commenst on the past posts. Nicaragua is the safest country in Central America, even more than Costa Rica

Nicaragua, Central...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

Buenos dias Christopher,

The misinformation about Nicaragua is absolutely astounding to those of us who live here. I was born and raised in the Pacific N.W. and now live in Nicaragua full time. In fact, we live in the very place you hope to visit, Pochomil. I never would have moved here, neither my children, if I thought for a second they or I were at more risk then we were in Eugene, Oregon. I wrote a travel blog a few months ago on this subject that you might appreciate reading. The link to the article is:

travelblog.org/Central-America-Caribbean/Nic…

I will be quite happy to discuss your questions further if you like. So that we can be clear about my motives, my wife and I own a tour company in Pochomil. We do not want you to think that the reason we "paint" such a positive image of Nicaragua is only for the purposes of making a few more dollars. Rather, we recognize that the more people discover the true beauty of this country, the better it is for all of us, generally speaking. I did not leave a beautiful and peaceful place in Oregon to look for theivery, murder and fear. In fact, the place where I live is even more peaceful then my former home town. And that was "Mayberry" if I ever saw it.

I hope you and your friends do get a chance to visit Nicaragua. Whether or not you choose our services, we are always happy to help answer questions or give advise.

Saludes,

Daniel and Estela

Fort Myers, FL
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

Wow. Thanks so much for the responses!

Like I mentioned before, MY girlfriend and I can't wait to go. It's just a touchy situation, because 1 out of the 4 of us is nervous, and you always want everyone involved comfortable - otherwise it isn't fair.

Charles- I'll definitely contact you for tour info, etc. Thanks.

So any more glowing testimonials from experiences/living there would be great. The more ammo I have, the better!

Fort Myers, FL
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

Sorry, Daniel! I wrote "Charles". I'll contact ya.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

Hey Daniel ! Sent you a PM !

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

Kidnappings????

Well I've lived here 2 years and it's news to me!

EVERY 'gringo' I knew in Costa Rica had had their house robbed though, often at gun point!!

Costa Rica is a LOT more dangerous than Nicaragua!!

The easiest way to find out if Nicaragua is a better/safer place than Costa Rica is when you're here to talk to people here that -like myself- used to live in Costa Rica.

Every Costa Rica 'escapee' is glad they're here rather than Costa Rica, believe me!!

http://www.thenicaraguablog.com

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

"...Nicaragua has the lowest crime rate in Central America, lower than the US or Europe..."

- Lonely Planet Nicaragua & El Salvador 2006 edition, page 284

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

Also...

"Nicaragua is a safe, stable, country and second only to Canada as the safest in the Western Hemisphere based on a study by The Inter-American Institute on Human Rights and the International Police Organization."

http://www.pieceofnicaragua.com/nicaragua.php

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The truth about Nicaragua Safety

my wife and I visited Nicaragua last summer (and we are planning another trip this September). We never felt in jeopardy. We found the people extremely warm and friendly. We picked up several locals as we traveled the back roads and despite our extremely limited Spanish, managed to make small talk with them. The greatest danger as someone else pointed out is driving at night. YIKES!!! Do not do it. Cars and motorcycles without lights of any kind, people, dogs, donkeys, etc. walking in the middle of the road, construction zones marked by logs or boulders without reflectors. My cousin lives there (he and his wife own a small hotel near San Juan del Sur) and in more than 5 years they have not had a single criminal incident.

I hope you go and have a good time.

Michel

Get answers to your questions about Diriamba