We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA to la costena can it be done in 45 minutes?

Seabrook, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
AA to la costena can it be done in 45 minutes?

Going to little corn next Thursday. In reviewing my trip I see I only have 45 minutes to make la costena flight to big corn. Can this be done? Flying in from Miami. Does la costena fly on schedule? I read somewhere a VIP lounge purchase helps to get through the entering the country process. Any tips?

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AA to la costena can it be done in 45 minutes?

If I were a betting man I'd place my money on the all steps stopping you from getting to that flight. In addition to customs and baggage, the La Costena check in process is slow then you have to pay the tax man in the little booth, and then you have to go through another security process. We checked in when no one was there and were taking a small plane to San Carlos and the whole process probably took us 30 to 40 minutes. If you throw in a bigger plane flying to Big Corn (and thus more people milling around), customs, and luggage then I'd say you won't make it. That's my gut....

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AA to la costena can it be done in 45 minutes?

it depends on how busy it is, etc.

do you have checked bags you have to wait for? or just backpacks?

Ive had friends get off the plane, and be out the door in 10 minutes. ive had other friends come to visit that have taken a full hour from when the plane lands until they are out the door. It depends on where you are on the plane, how quickly you get off, how slow the people in front of you in line are, if anyone on the plane has issues with customs that slow it down, how long it takes them to get your luggage to the baggage claim area etc.

La costena is right next door, so its a 30 second walk from once you are out the door of the airport to in the door of La Costena. but then you repeat the process of going through customs and checking in, etc. which, since youll be pretty late for check in there shouldnt be a long line ahead of you so you got that going for you. but once again, if you are checking bags, and/or have a lot of luggage they have to search, etc, that could take time.

Its definitely possible to make it, but i dont know that i would run the risk since there are so many variables that could slow you up. Unless you absolutely HAVE to make that flight, i might recommend checking a later flight.

Cincinnati Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AA to la costena can it be done in 45 minutes?

I was just there two weeks ago and I'm one of those travelers who loves to cut it close (I frequently make many illegal international time connections). That said, I think I would only try it if I didn't have checked luggage. While Nicaraguan customs/immigration is quick, there can be a delay in getting your baggage. La Costena is within a couple minutes of exiting the International terminal but they DO have a 1 1/2 check-in requirement which they ignore. They will also charge you for overweight baggage. The tax man before security into their holding area collects $2 US dollars and it's quick as is what they call security. My experience going to and from LIttle Corn is that they leave pretty close to on-time. If you need to change your flight, they charge you $40 if they have the space available, although people are changing around all the time. I'd give it a shot if I only had carryon but not if I had to rely on baggage being delivered to the carousel.

Seabrook, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AA to la costena can it be done in 45 minutes?

Well we did it! It was a

Little confusing at la costena's counter. In fact they said we missed the flight and said come back in the morning. As we were leaving they told us to come back and they quickly loaded us on a plane with four other folks and we flew direct to big corn. We had carry on baggage. Thanks for all of the advice!

5. Re: AA to la costena can it be done in 45 minutes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:50
Get answers to your questions about Corn Islands