We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Corn Islands w/o Travel Agent from US

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Corn Islands w/o Travel Agent from US

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have always used a Travel Agent for any of our vacations. However, when we brought up the Corn Islands to our Agent she doesn't have anyone that will book it for us and pretty much said we are on our own unless we want to pay double what we should be paying since it would be customized for us.

SO, I'm wondering if anyone else has planned this type of trip themselves coming from the USA. We are worried about connecting flights and all of that. Does anyone have any advice? Any websites, personal experiences, etc... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

We aren't going until next year. February 2015 is when we are thinking. Also, we want to go directly to LC and finish up the trip at Big Corn.

Thank you!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Traveling to Corn Islands w/o Travel Agent from US

Two weeks is definitely enough time to see another area of the country. I can't give advice about other areas, as I only went to the Corn Islands, but I'm sure you can find more info from the above links and other forums on trip advisor. I didn't visit Bluefields, and the La Costena flight did not stop here (I believe some do). Ometepe, while not close to the Corn Islands, was one area that was highly recommended to visit. You could probably easily set up a day trip from LCI with one of the locals.

With two weeks you could also plan to spend some more time on Big Corn, but again, LC is amazing! There is a lot to do to fill your time: snorkeling, multi day diving (whether you are certified or not), horseback riding at Farm Peace and Love, and you could set up fishing trips with locals. I'd book horseback riding beforehand, but all the other things you can arrange once you arrive at the island. The snorkeling and diving are wonderful. And while LC might have more tourists than Big Corn, there are still many, many natives and you really do get to experience what life is like living there. I think the island is just so tiny that you see the same people each day. It's a nice feeling, and you feel at home even after just a few days there.

February will be a busy time. I went during easter weekend, one of the busiest times, and booked LCBB about 5 weeks in advance. They did not have a room for 2 of the nights I needed even that far in advance. To be safe, I'd book 2 months prior to your trip.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Traveling to Corn Islands w/o Travel Agent from US

How did you travel from the States to Corn Island and back? Would you do it the same way the second time? How was your stay?

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Traveling to Corn Islands w/o Travel Agent from US

I flew from Connecticut to Miami, Miami to Managua. From the Managua airport I flew on La Costena airlines directly to Big Corn Island. From Big Corn I took the panga boat to Little Corn. I booked it all myself and yes, I'd do the same route if going again!

14. Re: Traveling to Corn Islands w/o Travel Agent from US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Corn Islands