We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Corn Island

Which Big Corn Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Big Corn Island

Hi,

Considering a trip to Nicaragua in April 2013 and want to go to Granada as well as a 'beach' area. I am hearing mixed things about the Corn Islands (from safety issues to other things). San Juan del Sur looks just 'okay'--not great beaches in the immediate area.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Granada,Nicaragua
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Corn Island

Hello Jon

Perfect you are planning to visit our beautiful Nicaragua, The best places for beach are San Juan del Sur where you will be able to do swimming, Surf, Diving and relax, is located like 1 1/2 hr from Granada. Corn Island

is the best spot for Diving and Snorkelling we had never heard about any safety issue in Corn Island.

Anothers places for beach it will be close by Managua like Masachapa or Montelimar.

We hope you enjoy our Country

Anthony Largaespada

Tierra Tour

Tour Operator

2. Re: Big Corn Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 March 2013, 15:41
Shallotte
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Corn Island

We have just returned from Nicaragua. I would suggest that if your time permits, you go to Las Penitas Beach, outside of Leon. To get there, take the bus from the Subativa Mercadito which goes first to Poneloya, then turns and goes toLas Penitas before turning around a nd returning to Leon We have been there several times and always enjoyed it. We suggest the Hotel Suyapa Beach,or as a less costly option, the Hotel Barca de Oro at the end of the beach. We also enjoyed a couple of stays at San Juan del Sur; found it had the great advantage of reasonably priced shuttle services direct to the airport. The Colabri restaurant in SJS was a particular treat. Two caveats, first, SJS was the only place we found in the whole country that itemized the 15 percent sales tax on bar/restaurant bills, as well as a "voluntary" gratuity. second caveat is that I noted an example of a little "extra", or what seemed to be that in that when the itemized bill was presented, there was an extra line that purportedly was the amount in dollars- the only thing is, there appeared to be a 5 percent mark- up tacked on. Perhaps a convenience charge! I don't know, but I will not revisit that beachfront business.

Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Corn Island

My husband and I will be traveling next month to Corn Island. If you have any questions regarding CI, shoot an email to Casey of Right Side guide. He's an American living in the area for 4 years. He helped me out alot regarding reservation, issues and concern. I also enjoy reading his blog----real funny.

Alajuela, Costa Rica
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Corn Island

tienes fotos de corn island de tu paseo en noviembre gracias

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Corn Island

Just returned from the corn islands. Big Corn island has some great places to eat, and relax during the day. At night, we stayed in based on suggestions from the hotel. Snorkel on Sandy's beach, swim at Picnic Center. Take lots of cash, as that is the only way to pay for items. Eat Coconut bread, Patty, and RonDon. Negotiate with the locals to take you snorkeling, or just go off the shore. My best suggestion is to take the Ponga and travel to little corn. Little corn is where all the tourist go, and is more relaxed and organized for walking and sightseeing.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Corn Island

SO eat coconut bread, as much as you can. Stay on Big Corn for a more local and authentic experience with Dorsey Campbell at Yellowtail House for peace quiet and Caribbean cool. Ride the bus. Ometepe was another unique and amazing place to go. Avoid Managua like the plague unless your Spanish and street savvy are excellent.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Corn Island

Casey is awesome!

9. Re: Big Corn Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Big Corn Island