We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

Salt Lake City, Utah
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

I would prefer NOT to pay $800+ for airfare. I would be willing to fly in to Costa Rica first and visit and fly from there to Big Corn if possible. (I will then take ferry to Little Corn--final destination). I would like to avoid traveling from Managua to Bluefields by land as I had some people tell me that it was miserable for them. I may be willing to travel from San Jose, Costa Rica to Bluefields if the bus trip was fairly comfortable and could save me a few hundred dollars. I found an airfare from SLC to San Jose for around $300. Any suggestions/advice?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

I think the only flights to Big Corn are from Bluefields and Managua. And I don't think there's any bus to Bluefields (vicinity) that doesn't involve Managua.

So... Bus it from San Jose to Managua, then catch a plane from there.

If you really meant cheapest (per the title), take buses and boats.

D P
Big Corn Island...
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

Nature Air flies from San Jose to Managua on Mon, Wed & Fridays. Looking at the current cost it would be approx $350 return. Then to fly from Managua to Big Corn on La Costena will cost you an additional $179.

There are a number of bus companies that travel from San Jose to Managua - an all day event and will cost you approx. $30 + border fees. Then you could decide to take the plane to Big Corn. If you want the cheapest route then the bus from Managua to El Rama, panga to Bluefields will cost less than $20. The bus from Managua to El Rama is fairly comfortable (it's not the regular chicken bus).

A good online guide is: http://rightsideguide.com/

Hope this info helps.

Debbie

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

Greetings iljatf444:

I was curious so took a spin online to find that Frontier airlines has a good deal from SLC to SJO, so I can see the initial appeal. I suggest that you need to consider the value of your time and if it is worth the hassle.

The issue is that even though on a map it looks like you should be able to go from Costa Rica's Caribbean coast (Limon) and then move up the coast, cross the border to Nicaragua, and then go from Bluefields to Corn Island on a boat, it just doesn't work that way. There is a border dispute between the two countries and no official crossing on that side of the country.

As mentioned, check Casey's Right Side Guide for the transportation details on getting to Rama, Bluefields, and then Corn Island. But, you will need to go through Managua to get to Corn Island.

So then as others have mentioned your options I believe are:

two flights (SJO-MGA, MGA-Corn Island) or a long bus ride SJO-MGA and then a flight on La Costena to CI, panga to Little Corn Island

and then...

get to MGA via one of the above methods, then take the bus/taxi to Rama, go down the river, wait for the boat to transport you from Bluefields to CI, then of course the final panga to LCI.

Good luck with your choice and have a great time on Corn Island!

Cheers,

Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

Assuming you land in SJO early in the morning (let’s say a Tuesday at 8AM, 1 ½ hours to clear customs, get you bag, immigration), the cheapest way to get to Little Corn would be the 9:30AM bus at the airport to San Jose ($2) (or $30 cab to Coca Cola).

In San Jose at 10 am and stumble with your bags to the san Carlos Terminal (head north 7 blocks). You can catch the 10:30 bus to san Carlos (otherwise known as Ciudad Quesada) ($6). Connect to the Los Chiles bus (($4) Get there at 3:30 (border still open. If you get a later bus that gets you there after 5, wait until morning to cross).

1 hour at border. ($10 gringo fee. $2 entrance fee. $1 San Carlos Nicaragua fee). Get last boat to San Carlos. ($6?). san Carlos Nicaragua at 5:30pm. From there is a 6PM bus to Juigalpa. Get there at 3am.

From Juigalpa there is a 4:30 am bus to El Rama. Get there 10:30 AM.

From there the schedule is murky. The boats to Bluefields and then to Big Corn are not necessarily on a schedule that anyone understands and it is doubtful you will reach big Corn on Wednesday. Figure if everything goes right you will get there on Thursday after 48 hours of continuous uncomfortable travel. Bring plenty of food and water and wear Depends.

To return to SJO, do same in reverse. Do not forget that SJO has a $29 dollar departure tax that is not included in the ticket price. Pay in cash no credit cards are accepted!

Or you could fly to Managua and catch the flight to Big Corn. Especially if you do not have an extra 5-6 days to waste.

Salt Lake City, Utah
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

Thanks everyone. All the traveling by land sounds messy just like my friends mentioned. Guess I'll just pay extra to fly to MGA and then Big Corn. Sounds like it will be worth foregoing all the hassle.

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
791 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

@iljatf444:

Yeah, usually in life, you get what you pay for. And yes, First Class is nice, but I prefer to pay less and sit in Coach with my fellow plebes! :-D

Check out my forum post here on TripAdvisor: Just Back From Corn Islands: November 11, 2010. Yes, I submitted that posting back on November 12, 2010, 2:21 AM but life moves so slow in the Corn Islands, I'm betting most of the information is still valid.

Salt Lake City, Utah
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

I actually found a cheap flight out of Vegas (one way) to Managua on Spirit Airlines for $214.00 which then makes paying for the Managua to GC flight inconsequential.

8. Re: Cheapest way to fly from Salt Lake City, Utah to Big Corn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 07:24
Get answers to your questions about Little Corn Island