We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to see Managua to Matagalpa

Which Matagalpa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
des moines, IA
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
things to see Managua to Matagalpa

We are planning a trip to Nicaragua in March of 2012. We plan to travel to Selva Negra from Managua and would like to know if there is anything of interest we should see along the way. We were planning to go to Leon but decided against it in favor of Ometepe later in our trip. Our potential itinerary as of right now is: one night in Managua, travel to Matagalpa and spend one night at Selva Negra. Travel to Granada and spend 2 nights. Go to Ometepe and spend 1-2 nights. Travel to San Juan del Sur and spend 4-5 nights. Also does anyone have any idea of the hours of travel between all these places? (manague-matagalpa, matagalpa-granada, granada-ometepe, and ometepe - San Juan del Sur. Thanks for any help or suggestions

7 replies to this topic
Oskaloosa, Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: things to see Managua to Matagalpa

i've been to all these places many times. Managua to Granada one hour. Managua to Matagalpa, three hours. Matagalpa to Selva Negra, 30-45 minutes.

Ometepe is more fun than Leon. Don't stay in Moyagalpa. Stay at Finca Venecia if you want to be on the water, or El Porvenir, if you want stunningly inexpensive, beautiful surroundings and privacy. Altagracia is OK, too. Hotel Central in fine. So is the funky Casa Ortiz. Say hello to Mario for me. Dan Coffey

Oskaloosa, Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: things to see Managua to Matagalpa

've been to all these places many times. Managua to Granada one hour. Managua to Matagalpa, three hours. Matagalpa to Selva Negra, 30-45 minutes.

Ometepe is more fun than Leon. Don't stay in Moyagalpa. Stay at Finca Venecia if you want to be on the water, or El Porvenir, if you want stunningly inexpensive, beautiful surroundings and privacy. Altagracia is OK, too. Hotel Central in fine. So is the funky Casa Ortiz.

des moines, IA
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things to see Managua to Matagalpa

Thank-you for your reply, I will take note and do some research on these places. Which state is your Oskaloosa?

Oskaloosa, Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: things to see Managua to Matagalpa

iowa

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to see Managua to Matagalpa

Matagalpa itself is a very interesting town. The Guanuca Market is colourful, vibrant and wonderful, the cathedral is beautiful as is the cemetery. You might enjoy visiting Castillo de cacao, where very good chocolate is made.

des moines, IA
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: things to see Managua to Matagalpa

Just noticed your reply to the Oskaloosa question...I live in Des Moines and we have just finalized plans. Thanks again for helping me out with destination ideas.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: things to see Managua to Matagalpa

Excellent timing Dancoffey.

Selva negra is just beautiful, excellent areas, awesome Bird life, nice trails to walk around and lot of history of the country and coffee of Nicaragua. Once in Granada you can visit the city, Mombacho volcano the island of Granada, Masaya area, On Ometepe Charco verde for nice walking, Caballo de mar by Merida for beautiful kayaking, The water spring, Finca porvenir for the rock carving or one of the entrance to go to Maderas volcano or at least to the view point. And SJDS Beaches around, Tortoise season right now, Nice surfing beaches around,etc

Enjoy Nicaragua.

Reply to: things to see Managua to Matagalpa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Matagalpa