We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)

Hi!

Next month, my wife and I will travel to Nica. We plan to stay in Matagalpa and we're thinking we will also head over to Somoto Canyon.

Are there buses that will go directly from Matagalpa to Somoto? If not, what's the best way - they don't look close on the map.

I see several guides recommended on the TA reviews. How do we find a guide? Are they just kind of hanging out at the canyon entrance?

Would love some advice from someone who has made this trip. Somoto Canyon looks totally amazing!

TIA!

7 replies to this topic
Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)

If you stay in Somoto just ask in the Hotel they can provide you a guide

The Canyon is beautiful was there two years ago

Salta

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)

Many places say that thr canyon closes in october because its the rainy season and high/rushing water.if yiu are coiming next month you might wanna see if they will be open

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)

in order to get to Somoto. get the local yellow bus from matagalpa bus station to Esteli and there change the bus to El espino or Somoto.

Guides or local operator on the area are Puro Norte 00 505 - 8415.2428

puronortetours@gmail.com

www.puronortetours.com or Namacambre Tours 00 505 2722 - 0889 | 00 505 8821 - 8931 namacambretours@gmail.com or if you want to travel direct from Matagalpa to Somoto get in touch with matagalpa tours

Auckland Region...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)

Thank Byron - we were looking for that information too.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)

Thanks, Everyone!

Byron - I'll check out your tours for sure. likeeveryoneelse, I'll check to see if it's open. Dry season starts in Nov, so hopefully the water will be low enough. We are going at the end of Nov.

Thanks again!

Rich

Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)

In Managua you can take a expres bus to Somoto, you can ask the taxi driver to take you to the bus terminal at the market (mercado del mayoreo en Managua). In Somoto you will be ab le to conet with tourist guide to de Canos of Somoto.

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
789 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)

Thanks for reviving this post. We are considering an overnight in Somoto in February, arriving by bus from Esteli in the morning for the tour then staying over and going on to Leon the following morning. Is there also an express bus from Somoto to Leon? I know there is one from Somoto to Esteli first thing in the morning but on the bus schedule there seem to be only two buses from Esteli to Leon one at 5:45 am and one at 3.

Reply to: Matagalpa to Somoto (and other questions about Somoto)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Matagalpa