We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Rishon le Zion
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

Hello :)

Could you please tell me about the fastest way to travel from Svolvaer to Moskenes and back? We will be in Svolvaer from August 10th till 16th and are planning to take a roundtrip to Moskenes.

Thanks a lot.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

There are at least two busses every day. 15.50 p.m. every day exept Saturday and Sunday and 19.20 p.m. every day:

veolia-transport.no/uploadConnex/…204.pdf

The bus is marked Å, the single letter village (worth visiting) at the end of the road E10.

There are probably more buses as well:http://www.veolia-transport.no/tmpl/ExtensionPage____33336.aspx?epslanguage=ML

If you don't have a lot of luggage, hitchhiking should be easy too.

Don't rent a car in Norway. Public transport is rather good and not very expencive. Rental cars are.

Rishon le Zion
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

Thanks a lot for your information. :)

Stamsund, Norway
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

A bus ticket one way from svolvær to leknes cost 135NOK.. renting a car for 24hrs cost 350NOK (for a small one)

I would say that aint very expensive! You can then drive around in your own pace, spending time where you wish, not only where the bus stops..

Rishon le Zion
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

Thank you for your suggestions about car rental. That was interesting and I will certainly look into it. Where can I rent a car in Svolvaer? Do I have to reserve it in advance or on my arrival date (August 12th)? Isn't petrol expensive in Norway?

Thanks in advance for the above information.

Rishon le Zion
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

Oh, I forgot. Are there many gas stations between Svolvaer and Moskenes? Do we have to take our rented car on a ferry boat?

Rishon le Zion
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

Thanks again.

We've been looking at the Veolia Website and found a bus with daily departure at 9.00 from Svolvaer to Leknes, returning at 21.05 on the next day (arrival Svolvaer at 22.35). We wanted to check the cost and make online bookings, but found no way to do it. There was no reply to our email either. As to the other Websites, they are all in Norwegian and we couldn't access this information either.

How can we get the information about prices and book three seats on this bus?

PS We were planning to travel to Moskenes on August 12th, step down at Borg stop (the last one before Leknes) in order to visit the Viking Museum. Then take the late bus back to Svolvaer on August 13th.

Hotels reservations have already been made.

Thank you for your help.

Oslo
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

I guess it's not possible to prebook domestic bus tickets in Norway (and outside the big cities buses in Norway often have just 2 or 3 passengers). And it's no need to worry. This route is operated by "Nor-way bussekspress" and they have a seat guarantee on all routes:

"NOR-WAY Bussekspress offers a seat guarantee on all routes. This means that you are always guaranteed a seat on the bus, without making any reservations! If you are travelling as a group of 9 or more, please let us know by calling +47 815 44 444."

Looks like there will be a new schedule on this route from May 1.

More info in English at the Nor-way bussekspress website

nor-way.no/wsp/nbe/frontend.cgi…

(go to timetables & prices, your bus is "760 Lofotenekspressen" - click for "return")

Oslo
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

If you want to go by rental car (it's 124 km - total petrol cost about NOK 100 each way, it's no ferries between Svolvær and Moskenes), just some info here:

Lofoten rent-a-car (used cars) (phone +47 64 35 60)

Lofoten leiebil is cheap (NOK 350 pr. 24h), but is in Stamsund (66 km from Svolvær)

www.lofotenleiebil.no/page/15559/…

This is a list of car rentals in Svolvaer (incl. phone numbet) - look for "bilutleie Svolvær"

http://www.svolvaer.net/001_reise_til.htm

Rishon le Zion
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?

Thank you for your knowledgeable information. This will certainly be handy.

Rishon le Zion
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: getting from Svolvaer to Moskenes?