We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

Hi there I am arriving in Bodo (from Trondheim) at 0915 on June 17 2013 and intend to visit the Lofoten islands. I have looked at the ferry timetable from the website (www.torghatten-nord.no/english/default.aspx) and understand that there is a ferry from Bodo to Moskenes and that there are 7 daily departures. I intend to catch the 1015 ferry. However I have read that this is mainly a car ferry? Are foot passengers allowed and is there sufficient space available? Would I have to book this ferry in advance or can I just turn up? I am not keen on renting a car.

Alternatively, I also understand that there is a ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer but from what I see on the timetable (Bodo-Svolvaer-Bodo) the earliest ferry is at 1715? Just to confirm, this means that there is no earlier ferry? I would preferably like to arrive in Lofoten earlier. (I will be leaving from Bodo back to Trondheim at 2110 on June 18, and so would like to spend as much time as possible in Lofoten.)

Related to all this, because of ferry departures I am having difficulty planning accommodation. If travelling to Moskenes, I would then book accommodation in Reine. However if travelling to Svolvaer then I would book accommodation in Svolvaer itself.

With the limited amount of time I have, what would you recommend for my stay in Lofoten? I read that Reine is very beautiful, but then Svolvaer is the base to see the Trollfjord (unless there are boat trips from Reine as well...?). I am keen on doing some hiking to enjoy the midnight sun, as well as taking boat trips to see the fjords or maybe even do some snorkelling? I am open to any and other suggestions!

Thank you so much!! I know I have asked many questions but ANY ADVICE would be really appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Bodo
Bodo
Nordland, Norway
Trondheim
Trondheim
Trondheim Municipality, Norway
Lofoten Islands
Lofoten Islands
Nordland, Norway
Svolvaer
Svolvaer
Vagan, Norway
Reine
Reine
Moskenesoy, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

All car ferries also take foot passengers. there is plenty of space: nfk.no/handlers/…landegode.jpg

I would recommend that you take the 1015 ferry to Moskenes and book your accommodation in Reine, Sakrisøy or Hamnøy.

Advance booking is only possible for cars, foot passengers just show up on the dock and buy their ticket. Note that all passengers are required to show up 45min. ahead of departure for registration. The ferry dock is right across from the train station, just remember to walk straight from the train to the dock.

You won't have time for a lot of activities, I would try to climb Reinebringen in the evening if the weather is OK. Trollfjord is not possible with your limited time.

Mentioned in this post
Reine
Reine
Moskenesoy, Norway
Reinebringen
Reinebringen
103 Reviews
Moskenesoy, Norway
Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

Thank you so much for your reply!

Just wondering, if I do stay in Reine on the night of the 17th, would it be possible to take a bus from Reine to Svolvaer the next morning, do a boat trip, and then catch the ferry from Svolvaer back to Bodo in time for the 2110 train? Do you think that's feasible?

Mentioned in this post
Reine
Reine
Moskenesoy, Norway
Svolvaer
Svolvaer
Vagan, Norway
Bodo
Bodo
Nordland, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

Sorry, not possible. The one daily express boat from Svolvær to Bodø leaves at 0630.

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

Sorry about that I forgot to check the ferry timetables before replying!

Thank you for helping me with this decision. Will book my accommodation in Reine! =)

And yes I do intend to climb Reinebringen! Apart from hiking do you have other recommendations as to what to do?

Mentioned in this post
Reine
Reine
Moskenesoy, Norway
Reinebringen
Reinebringen
103 Reviews
Moskenesoy, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,941 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

You can find some ideas of what to do here. Outdoor activities may be weather permitting.

http://reinerorbuer.no/no/?page_id=11

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

Wow! Thank you SO MUCH. That was a great help, appreciate it! =)

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

Same topic, different period. I'm trying to plan a trip to Norway late August-early September, flying into Bodo, touring for a week including Lofoten and would like to return car to Bodo and fly on to Trondheim. Looking for ferry Moskenes to Bodo on September 2nd, but the ferry company www.torghatten-nord.no/english/default.aspx shows 3 different schedules, the last of which stops on August 18. Are they just very slow putting up new schedules, or does this ferry service only run in the summer, and stop in August? (seems very early). Much appreciate any info on whether car ferries are running on Sept. 2nd and where I can find times/make booking, so I don't have a plane leaving before my ferry gets in to Bodo! Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bodo
Bodo
Nordland, Norway
Lofoten Islands
Lofoten Islands
Nordland, Norway
Trondheim
Trondheim
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

The ferries between Bodo and Moskenes operate throughout the year, but very reduced compared to summer sailings.

There are 1 or 2 sailings daily during winter, compared to 6 during summer. Even though the operating company hasn't put the schedule out it appears when searching on the regional public transport organisation webpage (http://www.177nordland.no). On 2nd Sept it seems there are 2 departures from Moskenes 7am and 8:30pm with arrival in Bodo 3h 15m later.

You can't prebook for September sailings anyway, they only do prebooking for the summer months (June-August).

Mentioned in this post
Bodo
Bodo
Nordland, Norway
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

Great answer, thank you so much. Looks like I can take the 7 a.m. ferry arriving 10.15 and be in time to take the 12.45 flight from Bodo to Trondheim. Fits perfectly with my plans! Now just to work out the bits in between!

BTW I guess you are Norwegian. Can you tell me if in general, travelling in lower season like September, it is better to book accommodation in advance or whether we can maybe get better prices just arriving in a town and looking, or maybe phoning one day before arrival and get discounts (I am talking cabins, guesthouses or fishermen's houses, or even hostels, not large or luxury hotels)? Many thanks for this and any particular recommendations you may have concerning the far north (Nordkapp from Finland, Alta, Andenes/A - interested in nature and planning to see something of Sami culture, Alta rock carvings, whale watching in Andenes, drive down to Moskenes/A, boat trip to Maelstrom at Moskenstraumen - all in just 7 days....) ? Many thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Bodo
Bodo
Nordland, Norway
Trondheim
Trondheim
Finland
Finland
Europe
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer/Moskenes, & Accommodation Advice

Usually walk-up rates are higher than pre-booking rates, specially small places with one hotel/guest house/etc as you walk up at night looking for a bed and they know it can be an hour or two to drive to the next accomodation. Bokk ahead a day or two and you'll be alright.

I'd say stay away from the most northern bits, it's just too far. Moskenes-Nordkapp is more than 1000km, a 15-16 hours non-stop drive (distancewise approx the same as Milano-Lecce, but on narrow winding roads). Going up there will eat up too much of your time.