We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten: July 2013!

First of all, THANK YOU so much for all that great advice and for answering all of my many and weird questions prior to going on this trip! We are now back from the Vesterålen & Lofoten islands and had a fantastic time! We had a rental mobile home and due to this flexibility, we did not book anything at all in advance, just took a day at a time and stayed as long as we wished at each place. The weather for these 10 days was very rainy and stormy, but we did have some sunshine, too! We started our road-trip at home, in northern Sweden. We, who travelled, were I + my husband and our dog!

Short description of the places we visited + photo link at the end:

BLEIK, VESTERÅLEN ISLANDS

After a very long day of driving from home in northern Sweden, crossing the border into Norway at Björnfjäll, and with lots of little breaks and photo-stops along the way, we finally arrived in Bleik in the late evening. We stayed at the scenic Midnattsolen Camping in the little sleepy town of Bleik for 4 days. The location at the long picturesque sandy beach with sand dunes and the sharp mountain peaks as a backdrop was really lovely. Apparently, this is Norway`s longest sandy beach! Free wifi.

We went for long walks on the beach and in the dunes every day, saw lots of otters and sheep, photographed the sea gulls and other sea birds and we also did the ”Puffin safari” from the harbour. It cost 400NOK/person for 1,5 hours and we went out in a fishing boat and circled the nearby bird cliff island called Bleiksøya, where around 200.000 puffins live. We got to photograph the puffins close by on the water, swimming and looking for fish. We did not get close enough to the island to take pics of the birds actually sitting on the island due to high waves. A must for this excursion: seasickness pills!!

There is a little shop in Bleik with wonderful fresh homemade bread every morning and heavenly desserts. We bought bread and had strawberry creamcake here and it was delicious! Very expensive though. Mixed weather here, both clouty+rain but also blue skies and sunshine!

Bleik camping, beach and town was the place that we liked most during our entire trip and we hope to return some day!

STØ, VESTERÅLEN ISLANDS

Next up was the tiny harbour town of Stø! Very picturesque with little red houses and rorbu along the sea and wildlife flowers everywhere! Sea gulls nesting in the cliffs right beside the road. Lots of walking trails over the nearby mountains! We had waffles with strawberry jam at the restaurant at the end of the road for lunch (where the Bobil camping is, too) and later that night, we also had dinner there which consisted of a fish dish ”kveite”, which was very delicious! Very good service and amazingly friendly and helpful staff! Free wifi.

We did the ”Puffin and Seal Safari” with Stø Safari for 450NOK/person (1,5 hours tour) with a Rib-boat from here, which was fantastic! It was windy, but we had blue sky and shunshine and the rib-boat took us out to the offshore island of Anda Lighthouse where there is a breeding puffin colony of approx 60.000 birds, which could be seen sitting in groups and in front of their burrows on the grassy slopes. There were also lots of nesting sea gulls with little fluffy chicks, razorbills, guillemot, terns, shags, cormorants etc and we also did see seals sunning themselves on the lower cliffs! A zoom-camera is good to have for this trip for close-up photos, but you do get pretty close anyway! An amazing experience and a heaven for birdwatchers! A must when the weather gets rough: seasickness pills!! Sunny weather here!

VESTERÅLEN - LOFOTEN

We then drove south along the beautiful coastline passing little beaches and fishermen villages here and there, then took the car ferry approx. 25min from Melbu/Vesterålen - Fiskebøl/Lofoten and continued our trip along the Lofoten Islands!

FREDVANG + YTTERSAND, LOFOTEN

We stayed at Fredvang Camping. While the camping site itself is scenic, too, among the sand dunes (no direct sea view but a path takes you directly on the beach) and we did enjoy our time here, the service can be described with only one word: terrible! When we entered the reception, a young man was there, watching teve. He didn`t even greet us, just sighed and eventuelly slowly rose to came to meet us, raised his eyebrows and just stared at us. We first thought it was a languages barrier, so we tried both swedish/norwegian and english, but he was still short-worded, often didn`t understand what we wanted and seemed extremely bored (lots of sighs), couldn`t answer our questions about nearby walking trails and he was very unfriendly. We were quite disappointed with the lack of communication and overall service here, but determined that this wouldn`t impact on our stay at Fredvang! Internet Wifi was not free, cost 25NOK per 24-hour period.

The camping itself is lovely and spread-out among green wildflower lawns and sand dunes and we explored the area on our own! We also did some angling from the jetty and eventually found the Stokkvika walking trail (through our guide book) at neighbouring Yttersand beach up the mountain from where we had fantastic views of the islands, beaches and fjords below! A quit and peaceful area and lots of locals = sheep!

SOUTHERN LOFOTEN

Next day was a foggy driving day around the southern Lofoten islands. Lots of car/caravan/mobile home/truck traffic here (compared to the quiet Vesterålen Islands). We passed beautiful Ramberg town beach, then south to Hamnøy where we bought fresh shrimps (very tasty!) and passed the scenic towns of Reine and Å with lots of dried fish to see hanging everywhere. I´m sure these towns are very lovely when the sun shines and you can see the high mountain peaks, but due to heavy rain and fog this day and on top of this road works, we weren`t particularly impressed, to be honest. Up north again, we drove to sandy Haukland beach (amazing blue-green water!) and through the tunnel to Uttakleiv beach where there is a scenic pebbles beach. We saw otters wandering around the beach and road here, too! They were all very nice beaches, but unfortunetly, the weather was very cloudy and rainy and lots of caravans/campers were already here, so we decided to drive on!

We also visited the bridge-town of Henningsvaer and then parked our mobile home at Rørviks beach in the evening. The sea water had the most amazing blue-green colours here and there were huge wildflower meadows!

SANDVIKA+SVOLVAER, LOFOTEN

We spent two days at Sandvika Camping, close to Svolvaer. The camping itself is located at the end of a small road, placed around two small beaches and lots of views of the sea and the cliffs and high mountain peaks all around, a bit crowded for mobile homes and lots of caravans when we were there, but we still liked it! Friendly service and freshly home made bred every morning! A well-stocked gift shop! Free wifi. A good stop-over to explore this area for a few days! We had lovely weather here, blue skies with fluffy white clouds and sunshine, jippie!

SKROVA ISLAND, LOFOTEN

From Svolvaer harbour, we took the car ferry to tiny scenic Skrova Island. This took approx. 25minutes one way. A must (according to us): take seasickness pills!

We especially wanted to visit this island due to its many excellent hiking trails and beautiful viewpoints. We did the red and the yellow marked hiking trails/paths. The red-one goes all around the island ”in the lowlands” and crossed both marshland and meadows with a little bit of views here and there. We liked the ”yellow” walking trail best, which takes you up to the highest mountain on the island, Skrova Fjell, which is a strengous and steep hike up over huge rock blocks, quite muddy in places, but the views are just WOW! Partly, there are ropes to hold on to, as it is quite steep as you get closer to the top. But the view from the top and Skrova Fjell`s highest peak, it was a real Halleluja-moment, it was AMAZING! To stand on top with this breathtaking view over the islands and Lofoten fjords-wall in the distance, the blue-green sea sparkling in the sun and powder-white beaches, it was really stunning and totally worth all the trouble to get here! A highlight of our holiday!

Skrova has a lovely little harbour with pretty red rorbu, there is a restaurant as well and a small shop. Otters wander the streets in the evenings. Tricky to drive around this tiny island on the few narrow streets with our mobile home, though, but it was adventurous!

GETTING HOME

After getting back with the ferry to Svolvaer again, we slowly made our way (with many stops here and there) through the Lofoten Islands through the many long tunnels and huge bridges, then Gullefjordbotn and further north close to Narvik, we drove over the Björnfjell mountain ridge back home to Sweden!

OVERALL + CONCLUSION:

The whole family had fantastic 10 days around the Vesterålen & Lofoten Islands on our road-trip in northern Norway! It all worked out very well with our dog, he loved our rental mobile home and had fun playing on the beaches and bathing his paws in the ice-cold sea, was excited seeing all those sheep (LOL) and we did lots of walking on hiking trails with him, keeping him on a leash at all times! It was wonderful to be able to take him with us on our travels (which is not always possible at home due to restrictions everywhere)!

Mixed weather during our trip with a few sunny moments, but we still had a very good time! We also did meet a lot of nice and friendly Norwegians and other tourists from Norway, the Uk, Germany and Hungary along the way which made for some nice chatting!

DRIVING in Vesterålen/Lofoten is also quite interesting but time-consuming. Even though distances are not far, it takes a very long time to get almost anywhere due to the many curvy and narrow roads, low speed limits, sheep blocking the roads here and there...and of course, the roads are so scenic, so you just have to stop everywhere to take photographs of beautiful little beaches and marvell at breathtaking waterfalls in the mountainious fjords!

HIGHLIGHTS of our trip were the scenic beach town of Bleik (our favourite) in the Vesterålen Islands, the exciting puffin & seal safari boat rib-tour in Stø + excellent food at the restaurang there at Bobil camping, hiking at Fredvang/Yttersand and the beautiful island of Skrova in the Lofoten!

THANK YOU for reading this endlessly long trip report (sorry), I really tried to keep it short! And thanks again for all the advice we received prior our trip, we all had a lovely time in Norway & we hope to be able to go back next summer again! If there are any questions, please, just ask! :-)

Annika & Peter

Photos Norway Summer 2013: flickr.com/photos/…

long island, ny
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

Fabulous photos! Thanks for sharing!

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

Loved your trip report, thank you for sharing it with us. It was nice to hear the perspective of a trip to the area from someone that actually lives near there.

If you could not travel the entirety of the Lofoten Islands, would you say that going about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way into them would be suffice to get a feel of what it is like there? I am asking because in our current itinerary, we are cutting out the Lofoten Islands entirely, as we were hoping to save that for a cruise or something later on.

We are spending 4 nights in Finland (2 nights at Ounasloma and 2 nights in Kilpisjarvi), 2 nights across from Lyngen Alps, 2 nights unknown someplace in Norway, and then 4 nights in Sweden (2 in Abisko and 2 in Stockholm).

I would really love to see Lofoten, it is nearly heartbreaking that we cut it from the itinerary, but the driving distances just looked soooo long! Is it worth it to 'bite the bullet' so to speak and try and go?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

In answer to Firestormz, if you are going to Scandinavia to see the landscape I wonder if you have used Google Maps and Street View to see what it looks like in the places you have decided to visit. To my mind it would be a great shame to omit Lofoten. Senja and Vesteralen could also be included on the way down from Tromso. Google Maps will also show you the distances and driving times.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,576 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

More pictures from Lofoten

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Lofoten

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

Thank you all for your nice comments! :-)

Firestormz,

It is really hard for us to say anything about your itinerary (which sounds very interesting) as I don`t know you and your priorities and apart from Stockholm and Abisko (and if you decide to include the Lofoten Islands), I don`t know anything at all about the other places that you mention (have not been to Finland since I was little) and I don`t know the area around the Lyngen Alps (but it looks far away from the Lofoten on a map)!

Will you have a rental car for the trip? Have you had a look at Google Maps (as previously mentioned) and put in the locations that you wish to visit on your trip to see the driving-route and approx. distances? Maybe this can help a little!

Driving around the Lofoten Islands takes time even if distances seem short due to curvy and small roads, only 60km/hour when passing through small villages which are everywhere, sheep crossings, lots to see and photograph everywhere, so you have to plan and consider many photo-stops along the way!

We "only" had 10 days (!) for Vesterålen + Lofoten Islands together and it was fine, but could have stayed even longer because there was just so much to see and do, if we had have the time!

Regarding the Lofoten Islands, already from the area around Narvik, you start getting amazingly beautiful views of the fjords and small beaches here and there, turquoise waters and blue-green lagoons, wildflower meadows etc but as you drive further south in the area around Svolvaer and south of that, it gets even more scenic and the coastline is more rugged with high peaks, waterfalls, beautiful hiking trails with viewpoints, lots of tunnels and even more dramatic landscapes! Unfortunetly, we had lots of rain and mist during our trip and just a little sunshine but we still found the Lofoten very scenic (and the Vesterålen Islands even more so!)!

Sorry for not being of great help to you but I do hope you will have a lovely time in Scandinavia wherever you decide to go & if you need anymore help regarding the Lofoten or Vesterålen Islands, I´m happy to answer any questions!

Regards, Annika

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

Thank you all for the very valuable information, it is a lot to think about! Yes, we will have a rental car. I had even thought of taking the Hurtigruten ferry from Tromso to Halstad, but it does not go on the day we need to leave Lyngen Alps. Then we thought of either going to Hav Og Fjell (further north from Tromso) or Malangen Brygger (a little south of Tromso), but am concerned about light pollution and the directions that the cabins face in those areas.

The primary goal of the trip is to see the Northern Lights. We would not want to miss the beauty of the country just to see the lights, but after our trip to Iceland last year, we are addicted! I think we saw them 9 nights out of 13 nights, which I am told is quite unusual, but we stayed up all night and were quite fortunate.

I think that I will give Lofoten some more careful consideration, I really don't want to miss it. I was concerned that going in October might be too rainy in the area anyway to see anything?

Thanks again, this thread is a treasure trove of information!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

Great report and lovely photos - thanks so much for sharing with us! I've linked the report in our library.

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

Firestormz,

wishing you a lovely Scandinavia trip in October - whichever places you end up visiting - maybe you`re lucky and will already experience this year`s first snow during your trip! And good luck with the Northern Lights seeking! :-)

Pippi2,

Thanks! :-)

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

Fantastic trip report and photos - we're just back from the Western Fjords but Lofoten and Vesterålen are definitely next on the list so really enjoyed reading about your travels! I loved the idea of otters wandering the streets. Your dog looks really lovely. I noticed while we were out hiking that Norwegian dogs were always on leads in places where in the UK they would run free. I guess the number of wandering sheep/goats is the reason? I got the impression you thought that Sweden had more restrictions? Are there places dogs can have a good run around or only on private land?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,265 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report + Photos Vesterålen & Lofoten - July 2013!

Information on the requirement for dogs to be on a lead in the summer months in Norway: mattilsynet.no/dyr_og_dyrehold/kjaledyr_og_k…

In Norwegian so open in Chrome browser with the google translate extension.

This site also has information on requirements for travelling with pets to Norway (in English).

Get answers to your questions about Lofoten Islands