We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Canberra, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

We are hoping to get the 10.15 ferry from Bodo to Moskenes on 04 july (friday) and wish to continue on by bus to Svolvaer where our accommodation is booked. However i am finding it impossible to access information on line about the bus timetable (i go to the sites but can not download the information) and whether there are buses that leave Moskenes that connect with the arrival of the ferry at ???

I know that we could get the Hurtigruten directly to Svolvaer but we would like arrive earlier than it does and we thought that the ferry and bus would be very scenic.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance . Thankyou

Anne

Australia

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

I would recommend Hurtigruten as the buses are not very frequent and you may find yourself waiting around in Moskenes. The ferry is not scenic - it is a wide open fjord and it can be rough if windy. The bus follows the main road. Try the travel planner at 177nordland for possible bus connections.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

The ferry arrives at 13:30 and the bus leaves at 13:25, I am not sure they correspond. Next bus is at 19:20.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 19:57
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,249 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

It would be unusual if they didn't correspond. I suspect that the ferry normally arrives a bit ahead of schedule - they must have a leeway for bad weather etc. A phone call to ferry/bus company would clear it up.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

I am pretty sure Lofotexpressen will leave on time as this bus correspond with Narvik trains and Evenes airport. Most passengers going to Moskenes by ferry are either by car or their destination is Moskenes/Reine. It does not really make sense to go to Svolvær via Moskenes when there are two supplementary connections daily from Bodø to Svolvær and the two may very well not correspond. Besides, the ferry may be delayed if the weather is bad - it is a rough passage at times.

Canberra, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

Thank you for your information and advice. We were just hoping to get to Lofoten as early as we could to have as much time as possible.

Would it be possible to get buses to skutvk and cross on the ferry from there? Or we may have to get the hurtigruten

Thank you.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

When I look up the timetable it shows that the 13:30 bus from Moskenesvågen does not run in July. (18-742). The only bus connection to the ferry in question will take you to Å and it does correspond with the ferry.

The first bus I can find from Bodø to Skutvik leaves at 13:21.

Canberra, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

Thank you again for that information. It seems that the hurtigruten or the express boat to Svolvaer would be the best options as you suggested.

Anne

Netherlands
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

The daily 13.25 bus in the direction of Reine and Leknes does not correspond with the ferry at Moskenes. Last week I checked this fact with the bus company. They said it won't wait for the ferry. I think that's strange, because there's just a few minutes between departure of the bus and arrival of the ferry. Don't they want a few more passengers? It would be great service for tourists without a car, to make this a simple connection and advertising it...... Now I have to take a taxi and order it in advance...... I know that buses on the Lofoten are not principally aimed at tourists, but I think they could make so much more of it with just a few amendments in the timetable or using a few minibuses (maybe with the need to make a reservation) to hard to reach spots..., if only it were in the summer months.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 23:33
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

It is mainly a car ferry and I suppose the few foot passengers do not justify a 50 seater bus.

10. Re: Bus connection with Bodo Moskenes ferry.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Lofoten Islands