We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental sharing and cash needed? in Lofoten

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Dresden, Germany
8 posts
Save Topic
Car rental sharing and cash needed? in Lofoten

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I have booked an automatic car at Monskenes for June 9th to June 14th. Anyone with the similar schedule is welcome to join us and we can share the rental fees.

We also have a question about cash needed on the island. Do we need to bring a lot of cash of local currency?

Melody

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental sharing and cash needed? in Lofoten

As long as you have a debit or credit card, you will need a minimum of cash.

Dresden, Germany
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental sharing and cash needed? in Lofoten

Thank you :)

Do you happen to know whether someone is allowed to drive directly with a Chinese driver license?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental sharing and cash needed? in Lofoten

If the licence is in Chinese only, you need an international. It needs to be in English so that the rental company and others can actually see that it is a driving lisence, check the validity, age, how long you have had your lisence etc.

Dresden, Germany
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental sharing and cash needed? in Lofoten

Thank you! BTW, It seems the Moskenes local car renter requires cash payment...

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental sharing and cash needed? in Lofoten

Very suspicious that a car hire co. would require cash payment - car hire co's require credit card to protect themselves against damage and extra charges. No legitimate company in Norway would expect an account of that size to be paid in cash unless it is a shady deal - you'd be in trouble if there is no valid insurance.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 17:30
Dresden, Germany
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental sharing and cash needed? in Lofoten

You are quite right. I am worried as well. But he does offer insurance. At least that is what he said over the phone. I hope this does not lead us into troubles. Orz

7. Re: Car rental sharing and cash needed? in Lofoten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lofoten Islands