We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please!

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
141 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please!

Hello again experts!

After two successful hiking trips to the Lysefjord and to the Trolltunga (thanks again to pippi2 and iverh), it is time to start planning our next destination, which would be the Lofoten Islands.

You can see our planned itinerary below, please find questions as well

day 1 (8/13/2014) Wed - Arrive to Bodo (SAS4112 13:05-14:30), catch the ferry to Moskenes (16:30-23:59), sleep at Moskenes Camping

day 2 (8/14/2014) Thu - Hike up to Munken sleep Munkebu or wildcamp.

day 3 (8/15/2014) Fri - Hike up to Hermannsdalstinden, down to Moskenes, walk/hitchike to Reine, wildcamp around Reine

day 4 (8/16/2014) Sat - Ferry to Kjerkfjorden (Reinefjorden.no), hike to Bunes and Helvetestinden, wildcamp

day 5 (8/17/2014) Sun - Travel back to Reine with ferry (Reinefjorden.no), Hike Reinebringen, wildcamp

day 6 (8/18/2014) Mon - ?

day 7 (8/19/2014) Tue - ?

day 8 (8/20/2014) Wed - Ferry Moskenes-Bodo (07:00-10:15) Bodo-Oslo (12:35-14:55 SAS)

Qs:

1. According to our dates, flight details and the ferry schedule, am I right that 16:30 (onward) are the first available ferry to Moskenes for us?

2. I've went through the forum threads and it is seems that 1-2 hours is enough to get to the ferry port from the airport in Bodo maybe even by foot (2.5km). Could you please confirm this?

3. I'm a bit concerned about ferry to Kjerkforden (on our way back) as the schedule says there is no ferries on sunday morning. Okay, there is no summer schedule available online, but still the question is: will we able to come back to Reine on a sunny Sunday morning?

4. Could you guys offer us something to visit on our last two days (or first two days, you can offer us better itinerary, feel free), maybe we should visit other islands for a hike as well? I've checked rando-lofoten and 68north for different hikes, but I was unable to decide. Lofoten islands are beautiful!

5. is day 2-5 feasible, what do you think?

Thank you in advance!

Tom

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please!

As far as I can see, the ferry departures from Bodø are at 15:00 and 17:45.

http://ruteinfo.thn.no/no/default.aspx?rnr=86

Airport to ferry is about a 10 minutes drive.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 14:59
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
141 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please!

You are right, thank you!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please!

3. No, I do not think you would be able to get back from Kjerkfjorden to Reine in the morning of Sunday Aug 17. According to the current time table the Reinefjord ferry runs only every second Sunday, Aug 17 is not one of them. My suggestion to solve this problem is: Extend your hike with another day, visit Horseidvika (and Selfjord if you have time to spare). Return to Reine Monday morning instead of Sunday.

4. You've got a suggestion for one extra day, for the last day I suggest you hike Reinebringen, great view: https://goo.gl/maps/Twwci

5. Your hikes look fine to me (but my experience of hiking in Lofoten is limited). You must take into account that bad weather may force you to change your plans.

It is very nice to hear that you plan to come to Norway for a 3rd time, TomDiv, that is what we are working for here on the Norway forum, keeping our customers satisfied :-))

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please!

Yay, you are coming back to visit TomDiv! Cannot help you with this visit as my knowledge in this area is way too limited Let us know how it all went when you have completed the trip..

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
141 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please!

hi all,

Thanks for replying.

Iverh, I've checked the ferry schedule from Kjerkfjorden to Reine, but this is the winter schedule only which will expire on the 22th of june, according to this: www.reinefjorden.no/rutetabell_engelsk.htm

Can we expect that there will be a ferry on sunday in the summer period?

Horseid beach can be a good option! is it possible to safely descend from Helvetestinden on the eastern side to the Kjekrford area? Looking at the map (http://bit.ly/1nOZi4j), it does not seem impossible to descend from the saddle between Kammen and Brunakseltinden..

Because if it possible, we can have this part in our itinerary something like Bunes-Helvetestinden-Kjerkfjord-Horseid. Does this look dumb?

Oh and thanks for suggesting Reinebringen, but it is already in our itinerary on day 5.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help please!

Perhaps you could ask Lofoten Turlag - having limited experience with these hikes, it is difficult to give any good advise regarding hiking details.

lofoten.turistforeningen.no/group.php…

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help please!

Just a comment about Reinebringen, we went up it the other day (yes it was as beautiful as the photos if not more) and noticed there were some parts with quite loose rocks. Later we were talking to a local who said there was some concern about people going up it and apparently there is a notice in the tourist office in Moskenes advising people to avoid it and climb Tindstinden instead (from Sørvågen I think) which has similarly fabulous views. We hadn't been to Moskenes so didn't know there was an issue. I'm not sure how serious the problem is or if a route can be closed? Especially such a well known one.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help please!

I was thinking about other hikes and if you could find a bus which fitted on with your schedule (I believe there are some, if infrequent), you could go to Fredvang and walk to Kvalvika beach (we met people who had camped there and loved it) and it's a great walk up Ryten. You can do a loop via Fredvang hytte if you don't want to camp. It's really worth a visit - spectacular views. But I'm not sure about bus connections - we did it from Reine but had a car.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
141 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help please!

I've asked Lofoten Tourlag about Helvetestinden. I will get back the answer once they will reply.

Kayw294: I will check your ideas and the corresponding bus lines, thank you!

10. Re: Itinerary help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Lofoten Islands