We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

I planning a 10 days road trip to travel to n fro Tromso airport to Lofoten - Reine

either in mid Mar or sept .

1) Is it possible to use just the main road , to travel from Tromso airport to Lofoten - Reine .

Ie to say not using any of the Car Ferry and drive all the way up to Lofoten- Reine.

2)How long would it take to reach Reine ?

3)Any recommendation which breath-taking scenery road route should I drive ?

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

Google Maps will show you all possible routes and distances, but allow 1 minute per km rather than Google times. For scenery it doesn't really matter which route you take as they are all very scenic.

There is a big difference in road and weather condtions between your dates. Mid-March is still winter and you could still have full winter conditions on the roads. It will be cod-fishing season in Lofoten though and there will be lots of snow in the mountains and so great for scenery. Driving will be easier in September, and the weather will be warmer. You could see the Northern Lights in either period, but March would have a better chance.

Perhaps consider taking the express boat from Tromso to Harstad and rent a car from there. Then fly from Evenes airport if you don't have to go back to Tromso.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,929 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

Yes, it is possible to drive to Lofoten without ferries. In March driving conditions can be difficult, so if the weather is bad, consider Hurtigruten cruise ferry Tromsø-Svolvær and rent a car on the islands.

Oslo
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car
Visit Norway What's this?

You could take the Senja National Route if the weather allows and you choose to go by car from Tromsø.

visitnorway.com/en/…

You can also try the Lofoten National Route of course once there and time allows

visitnorway.com/en/…

Content provided by Visit Norway: www.visitnorway.com
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

Hi there

You're lucky, this is some trip, and very, very scenic. The best part ( from my point of view) is at the very end - the trip past Sakrisøy, Reine to Å. It is absolutely breathtaking! I would highly recommend to take the ferry from Reine to Kirkefjorden and take the walk ( about one hour) over to the Bunæsstranda ( a beach). Very pretty indeed, and no people. A good place to stay is Sakrisøy, I stayed there some years ago and it is very nice.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,929 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

Some of the advise from Erik T may not be relevant for a winter visit.

Some of the advise from VisitNorway is also not too brilliant for winter. Ferry Tromsø area to Senja only runs in the summer season, in winter you need to do a very long detour to Finnsnes and cross the bridge. There are express boats between Tromsø and Finnsnes, but rental car options in Finnsnes are limitied if at all exisiting.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 12:23
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

There's no problem renting a car in Finnsnes, but taking the express boat to Harstad and renting from there would save you a lot of driving.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

Thanks all for the advise !!!

This is my first trip to Norway so I still doing more research and reading up.

Seen like Mar period is out for me, as I don't have winter driving experience and I also intend to do some night camping up at mountain summit.

If driving will take up much time, I guess I will extend to a 15days trip then ;)

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

10 days would be enough, but more is always better. You will need a good quality mountain tent and all the equipment that goes with it to camp at high level in this part of Norway (or any level if the weather is bad). The weather is very changeable and unpredictable.

9. Re: travel from tromso airport to lofoten reine by rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:17