We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Bodo to Reine

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
7 posts
Save Topic
Road trip from Bodo to Reine

Hi all

Im planning to do big road trip from Czech Republic all the way to Reine next month. I found that there is ferry from Bodo to Moskenes. But I am interested if it is possible to drive from Bodo trough Narvik all the way to Reine, using highways E6 and E10. I tried to use google maps and also google earth, but it could not find me any road connection and it shows me that I must use ferry from Bodo. Do you think it is possible to drive from Bodo to Reine or should I use the ferry?

Thank you for your help ...

Rudy

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

It is no problem driving E6 from Bodø to Narvik and E10 Narvik-Reine. But - it is a long drive. around 11-12h net driving time, I would not recommend it. Consider one of the shortcuts with ferry Bognes-Lødingen, ferry Skutvik-Svolvær or ferry Bodø-Moskenes. I would prioritize time to spend around Lofoten instead of spending a lot of time driving E6 and E10.

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

Thank you iverh

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

The reason why you get an error on Google maps by making a route around it`s because there is a road works on the road just north of Reine, and it`s closest at the night and 15-30 mins every hour.

That works ends at August 17th if they keep the schedule.

I agree with Iverh, if you drive around take the ferry from Skutvik to Svolvær, and then you can drive south to Reine, and maybe home via Moskenes ferry.

But, if I was you I should begin to take the ferry from Bodø, because it`s always amazong to arrive an island by boat... I took this ferry for two weeks ago and it`s lovely to see the Lofoten wall rise up from the sea..;)

7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

Thank you for you informations

7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

I was also wondering about tickets on both Skutvik to Svolvear and Moskenes to Bodo. I know that it is possible to book tickets online in advance but what if I don't have exact schedule. I was wondering if it is possible to buy tickets ( one person and passenger car) on the spot without having internet connection and if it is possible do I have to have Cash ready or can I pay with my credit card. Thank you in advance.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

Normally, it is possible to take the ferry without reservations, but Friday afternoon to the islands and Sunday afternoon from the islands can be busy. Just line up well in advance of departure. You can pay by card.

Note that the Bodø-Moskenes ferry is less frequent from Aug 18th. Most Hurtigruten ships also take cars from Bodø to Svolvær or Stamsund. One daily departure.

7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

Thank you all for quick reply, I can already fell hospitality of people from Norway and I can't wait to visit your beautiful country.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

It's more expensive to book in advance, since they take a booking fee.

When I come to Bodo in line 3, actually line 5, since the two first are for reservations, it was still much space in the ferry..;)

And yes, they take credit cards.

Lulea, Sweden
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

Hi,

we also want to have road trip bodo,lofoten,narvik. we are confused with the fares of ferry and time table from bodo to moskenes. is it around 650 nok for car and 180 per person? are ticket to ferry are easily available? as we have booked the hotels in lofoten.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip from Bodo to Reine

The fare Bodø-Moskenes is 646 NOK for car incl. driver, 180 NOK pp for passengers.

The high season is over, normally there is space available on the ferries, see reply #8.

Get answers to your questions about Lofoten Islands