We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

Dear TA members,

our family of 3 will have less than 3 days of self- drive tour in western fjords from Bergen airport. I would appreciate if you can share your favorite scenic routes that showcae the beauty of the region. We will be there from 9/17 to 9/19 with 2 nights stay. We are hoping to get up close and personal with nature. We will be traveling from Lofoten prior to our arrival in Bergen and have seen glaciers in Iceland. Can you recommend some destinations that offer scenic drive and visits to beautiful villages? Given our limited time and so many different places and directions to go, I am totally lost. Your insights and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

To short time to do a drive! Use one day for NiN and then spend rest of your time in Bergen, it's a lovely city and the time is needed...

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,508 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

Not sure if I understand your question - are you asking for a day trip out of Bergen ? If so, I suggest you go to the Hardangerfjord and drive the scenic route 7. For touring the fjords and enjoy Bergen, you would need a week or so.

www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/no/hardanger

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

Thank you both for the suggestions. The self- drive tour does not have to be a day trip from Bergen. We fly in Bergen in the morning of 9/17 and fly out in late evening 8:20 pm on 9/19. We did look into NIN tour but the use and coordination of different transportations can be time consuming and offer no flexibility to stop and take photos. We do not intend to do a major fjord round tour given the limited time we have. Is it advisable to pick up a rental car from airport and drive to somewhere overnight and next one and a half day exploring nearby region before the flight out of Bergen? Is there a region not too far and affording the beauty of Norway that we can explore? Thanks for any inputs and advices.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

Klimaflyktning, thanks for the helpful link. I will read more about the national tourist routes and the recommended route 7. Will I see beautiful waterfalls along the route?

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

Hardanger is the closest nice region with beautiful fjords scenario. Google "Hardanger" and you will find many options for accommodation.

Then you should park you car and do Bergen, since it`s Norway`s most beautiful city..;)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,508 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

There are plenty of waterfalls in the area. See Hordaland and Sogn og Fjordane sub regions in this link

www.world-of-waterfalls.com/norway.html

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

I think you should do Norway In A Nutshell for the one day and then explore the city of Bergen on your second day. Taking a train, boat and bus ride would give you a view from the water to the mountains. The trains here in Norway are very nice and clean.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

Many thanks to all of you for your inputs and kindness. I find it extremely challenging to plan a trip in Norway. After watching on youtube how narrow the route 7 along Handanger fjord is, I came to the conclusion that given such a short time we should just use public transports and not to drive at all. We will do NIN tour as suggested and spend one night in Flam. Thank you for helping me reach this decision. You all are so wonderfully helpful.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen

If you are familiar with Italy as your name suggests you will find nothing challenging about driving in Norway. Road 7 is only narrow on short sections, certainly not somewhere to be avoided because of this. You can take a bus the same way though if you prefer. Use Google Street View if you want to know what it's really like.

Oslo
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help with scenic driving routes from Bergen
Visit Norway What's this?

Hello,

Please follow our link for information on the scenic Hardangerfjord in Fjord Norway, where for over a century travelers have come to see mountains, fjords, waterfalls and glaciers: visitnorway.com/en/…

Content provided by Visit Norway: www.visitnorway.com