We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

Which Isla Canela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

Hi

We've never been here before. We are two early 40 somethings and like to go somewhere with a few bars and restaurants within walking distance, close to a beach and shops to wonder around. Can anyone tell me which would be the best hotel to stop in for these needs.

Thanks in advance.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
105 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

I've stayed in the Riu a few times and loved it, it's now rebranded. Its close to the marina which has a few bars, places to eat, tapas and a few little gift shops and a supermarket.

Oxford
Level Contributor
33 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

Isla Canela is very quiet and more suited to those who stay in the hotels in the evening I feel. It has two bars near the marina that the English speakers like. Cindi's and the Sugar reef. Both serve food too. This is not a happening place and personally I feel at 40 you'd be more suited to the Algarve than Isla Canela. But if you have booked it think about going to Ayamonte in the evenings and a day trip to Sevillle. Hope this helps.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
105 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

That aside, we don't stay in the hotels ( we have rented apartments for the last 4 years) and always enjoy an lovely meal and a few drinks. It's not busting with entertainment but there's something nice about that.

Try the tapas places. Dantes for a cocktail.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 10:51
Chinnor, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

As already said Isla Canela is a quiet resort. However, whether your staying in hotels or apartments, you have the addition of Spanish run bars, cafes and restaurants a 10 minute walk in Punta del Moral. For shopping you would need to go into Ayamonte, which is a beautiful small working town with lots on offer all year round. You can also get the ferry across to Vila Real (Portugal) which is always a pleasant day out. You can also book river trips up the Guadiana (never got round to doing this yet but I hear it's a lovely day trip). I'm sure you'll find more than enough to occupy you.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

Off to Isla Canela in september.want to know if we catch the ferry to Portugal is there a beach and much to do as we will be on foot?

Any replies will be appreciated.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
105 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

You can catch the ferry from Ayamonte which is a short bus ride from Isla.

There's a really lovely beach with a few beach bars.

Chinnor, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

Maria562, do you mean "is there a beach in Vila Real"? If so you will find beach areas on the way to Monte Gordo. When do you arrive in Ayamonte/Isla Canela? If its the beginning of September you'll be able to enjoy Las Angustias festival in Ayamonte.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 13:59
Ottawa Ontario
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a taxi ride from Isla Canela to Ayamonte?

Also the cost of a bus ride to Ayamonte?

We plan to stay in Isla Canela for 1 month and part of the time we will not have a car.

Is it possible to bicycle to Ayamonte from Isla without too much difficulty, traffic and distance-wise. (We are in our sixties and slightly out of shape to be honest.) Thanks in advance to those who can assist with these questions.

Jim

Liverpool
Level Contributor
105 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

Taxi is about 7-10 euros, not sure about the bus think it was 1.30 euro each way. You can cycle to ayamonte its fairly flat but I there isn't much shade. The bike rental place in Punta Del Moral could advise the route, I'm sure the bike path is open all the way now.

Scotland
Level Contributor
9 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Canela - Never been before - need advice!

It is important not to describe Isla Canela as a predominantly British resort. It is not but it does have a few British run places. As well as the ones mentioned above, there is also Cinnamons which is very pleasant relaxing bar.

Assuming you are going at a time between March and September, there is a multitude of places to visit in the evening outside the hotels, mostly Spanish full of Spanish and Portuguese tourists. British folk are always welcome. If you are 40's something folk looking for the Real Spanish resort experience but with a few low key British run bars, Isla Canela is an excellent choice. If you're looking for Benidorm, give it a miss.

Get answers to your questions about Isla Canela
Recent Conversations