We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starfish - what to pack?

Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Starfish - what to pack?

I'm taking my 6 yo and my 11mo baby along with dh. I think I have most of the baby basics.

Should I bring sand toys for my kids? What about tennis shoes? Long pants for dh? Is the dress code casual except for the restaurants? Do they serve oatmeal (for the baby) at breakfast?

I'm getting kind of nervous and I know my bags will be overpacked as it is!

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

I was in Negril in April with my son who was 12 months and will be in Starfish this August when he is 17 months. The one this to not forget for the little one is swim diapers. I went through 1 1/2 packs of the Huggies swimmers.

Also, was very happy I traveled with sand toys to occupy the time.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

They did do oatmeal, but not every day....one day they would the next would be a rice pudding thing. The cold milk is nice and they have fruit loops, cornflakes, rice crispies. Selection of fresh fruit, yogats they even had peanut butter next to the jam for kids. My kids loved their little dougnuts with fondue and sprinkles on.......so you'll definetly find something for the kids.

I would take your own sand and water toys as they will be expensive in the shop. Make sure you take plenty of high factor for the kids as the sun cream range in the hotel shop wasn't great. If your going to get the kids hair braided take a can of the spray on misty type sunscreen for that.....otherwise you'll spent all do trying to grub cream between the lines.....that spray takes only a minute to do. Take little water shoes if their going to go in the ocean, and it wouldn't hurt eirter around the pool too stop them slipping or if the ground gets too hot.

Long trousers are need for the men if you want to go into the speciality restraunts, but not need for the main buffet.

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

Great info lareavens, would you or anyone suggest bringing a bubba mug?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

We have traveled with our son since he was 6 months ...and although we were at Starfish when he was 5, I remember the drill.

1) Yes I would take a thermal mug ... for both yourselves and the kids. They keep your drinks cold (and you don't have to go back to the bar as often) .. we brought a cup with a top and straw for our son .. you can get all types (Spiderman was our choise) ..these are great and prevent spills .. for your 11 mo a sippy cup would do fine.

2) If your young one is still drinking from bottles remember a bottle washer and we always brought a small container of dishwashing liquid ... dishwashing liquid is always hard to find unless you go to a grocery store and it makes things alot easier if you can clean out your bottles.

3) You might want to consider life jackets. We always bring one in case they don't have them at the resort .. or they are not in good shape. Our son can swim so we only used it when we went on the boat to Luminous Lagoon .. but most of the pools are about 4 ft. (there is a baby pool which is shallow .. but in case you use another one)

4) and last we always bring high spf suntan lotion, bug spray, cold or allergy med and of course Pepto. .... you can get this all there but it is much more expensive... you may not need any of it but it's good to have... now that there are restrictions on liquids in your carry on .. we but all the drugs in a zip lock bag and but them in our checked luggage ....

Oh almost forgot ... zip lock bags are great ... I always pack a few extras (large and small) as they come in really handy... you can fill them up with cereal from breakfast for snacks during the day!!

Avon Park
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

morning Joujou,

I guess it is a matter of preference but we don't bring the large Bubba mugs with us. We prefer the smaller yet still insulated mugs for our drinks that can sit easily in the sand while on the beach. I think that the 52 oz mugs are maybe better for water and ice and maybe beer. Our drinks in these 16-20 oz cups were just fine. But we are not heavy drinkers. We enjoyed going back to the beach bar to chat with the bartender for refills. But others may find it more convenient not having to go back to refill.

Showar,

I found that I really appreciated having a light shawl with me for dinners especially when dining nearer the water.

I also brought a small notebook to take notes in about our trip and to jot down specifics to share info with others at our hotel about drivers,etc.

shag

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

Thanks Shag,

I also bring a travel journal with me. It is great especially when doing my photo albums I like to put names, themes, etc. to all my photos.

Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

Thank you everyone!

I'm writing everything down so I don't forget anything.

We haven't gotten our passports but thankfully we won't need them now!

Avon Park
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

We go in Dec and are so excited. Hope you have a great trip and let us know everything.

PS..don't forget the first aid kit!

shag

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

Howdy showar, we were at the Starfish last June and I drop in on this forum from time to time to keep Steve honest. (rock)

We took a 24oz thermo mug each. Many reasons; the lids keep beach sand out, keeps your beverage colder longer, we washed ours out every night so we knew they were clean. The Red Stripe beer on tap is delish, the coffee is to die for, they have punch slushies that really cool ya down.

I learned the hard way, men have to have leather type shoes for the ala cartes. No sneakers. I wore my golf shoes and only got a sideways look.

Be sure to not overpack clothes. I always do. Just think back to the college dorm days, there are varying levels of dirty.

Some must do-s. Buy fresh aloe vera from the guys on the beach. Works a million times better than anything else when you get too much sun. Go to the Bamboo village with a large crowd - you'll understand, If you want to go snorkeling get Leon, he's hilarious and will take great care of you. Be sure to try all the entrees in the pans at the buffet. They may not look real exciting but most taste great.

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Starfish - what to pack?

Just got back from Starfish 2 days ago. No need for a sweater or wrap at night. It is extremely hot! We went through 2 bottles of SPF 50 sunscreen--had to apply it every hour due to intensity of the sun.