We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do and see while at Starfish.

Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Topic
What to do and see while at Starfish.

Only 9 more sleeps and we will be bqack in Jamaica!!! Myself,wife and 2 kids 18 & 21 would like some advice on what to do and see while there. Any suggestiions would be much appreciated!

Jeff

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

Hi Jeff, hope all is well my friend!

I will be in touch with you later today, and I'll answer all your your questions from your email in detail ok...

For now, here's the "short list" :

Walk to Time N Place on the beach (about 3/4 mile to the west) If you get there and it seems "deserted", LOUDLY call out for "Tony"... He may be working out front or resting in the main house. Definately at least enjoy a few drinks and a lunch there.

Shop next door in the Bamboo Village... (ask for my long-time friend Puttymon) if you prefer, Putty will walk with you down to TIme N Place also (just buy him a couple beers)

My personal favourite "tourist attraction" in the area is actually the Green Grotto Caves which I think your whole family would enjoy.

There's also Luminous Lagoon which is really popular...

Also the historic town of Falmouth is a great cultural/shopping experience.

Blessings and respect my friend, talk to you soon.

Steve

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

What are the Green Grotto Caves and what is the best way to get to them? Will the be safe for a 1.5 year old?

Essex
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

Hi,

I think we will be at the starfish the same time, we leave on the 26th, but we are there for only l week. I would also like to know what are the best things to do if you are only there a week. Want to spend some time just reading and chilling out, but not going to go home without looking around. Someone has told me there is a bar just outside from the starfish and to go and have a drink in there. Any other things to do would be great.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

Hi graffi,

the Green Grotto Caves are a network of Limestone (hence the green) caves that meander through the mountains along the coast near Runaway Bay. They are steeped in history and full of interesting things ranging from waterways to bats. The guided tour is not too expensive and very educational. Every time I've been the guide has been phenominal. The tour is not difficult (although it does take some walking) but there is one part (you have the option) where there is a fairly long stairway down to a "dead lake" about 130 feet down. No one in our group had any trouble and as long as you and hubby are fairly fit, I'd say you'd even be fine carrying your child.

I have a few photos from my second to last trip, I'll track em down and post a link to them ...

Blessings and respect.

Steve

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

Hers' a link to my photos;

I think the album for Starfish Trelawny Dec 2006 is where you'll find some photos of Green Grotto...

community.webshots.com/user/jamaicasteve

Blessings and respect to all.

Steve

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

my vote is for Luninous Lagoon ... there was a thread fairly recently about it ...

You can go from Starfish or just cab it over ... it is 5 min away

This is really an experience you will not get anywhere else.

make sure you go prepared to swim ... (the bottom is mucky so I would advise water shoes ..or don't touch the bottom) ... you'll regret it if you don;t go in!!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

thanks for the pics, looks cool, how long of a trip is it to the caves? is it further than the dunn river falls? oh, by the way i am the hubby

we plan to go to the luminous lagoon i would like to make a night of it and eat off the resort...I've heard the resturant there is not as good as the price would indicate...can anybody suggest another resturant that we could eat at before the lagoon? or is the restuarant that is there good enough?

also when booking excursions do you suggest hiring a driver and doing it myself or just book with the hotel?

Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

We will be at starfish 6/26-7/2. It will be me, dh, 2 daughters ages 20 and 16 and another friend of my daughter who is also 16. We are interested in doing some excersions so the caves sound really fun. Is it all walking or is there tubing? TIA

Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

Steve thank you for warming my heart with your beautiful photos. Love all the children and fauna.

julie

Springfield...
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do and see while at Starfish.

The caves are much closer than Dunns River, around Runaway Bay. The caves are all walking and the steps can get a little slippery from the moisture.

I liked the restaurant at Luminous Lagoon. The restaurant name is Glistening Waters and they do have a website with their menu online. I didn't find the prices bad at all, I'm sure it depends on what you get though. If you eat at the restaurant the lagoon trip is half price so the savings pretty well pays for the meal. Time N Place has good food as well but they have a pretty limited menu.

I'd suggest hiring a cab for a one way fare to the lagoon. It will be much cheaper than having them sit and wait for you and most likely they will wait anyway or be back by the time you're done. We used Nyron, he hangs out at the hotel a lot and his wife has a shop over at Bamboo Village. Her name is Yvette (sp) and you can hook up with Nyron either place. I have his phone # somewhere, I think I may have posted it on the honest contacts thread. He charged us $5 one way to the lagoon and left his # with the bartender. He was there just as we finished up so no need to call. The price would have been $20 r/t if he'd waited there for us so cut the cost in half. He has a small car so can only hold 4 passengers.

Personally I'd rather hire my own driver. The resort trips are really expensive and you don't get much time to do what you want. We hired a driver to take 4 of us to Dunns River and it saved us a lot of money. We got to set our own pace, go to the craft market, make stops along the way, etc. and seems like we paid $60 r/t for the driver.