We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

Which Falmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

Did anyone else besides my obsessive self read the latest trip report "Hated the Starfish Trelawny"?

I have to say I have read too many bad things about booking vacations with companies like Expedia, Travelocity, etc, to even think about giving them my money.

I also have to say I have read enought trip reports to think about bringing my own towels.

If a room is that bad, can't you ask for a different room?

Lastly, this is a family friendly resort, I expect our 11 year old to be splashing around quite a bit. When I didn't want to be around kids on vacation I went to an Adults only resort.

I guess I got a little reality check today on Starfish, not liking it too much, lol. But I guess sometimes things happen on vacation that are beyond your control.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

I'd say completely ignore it.

Why?

Because there are several unfactual statements made (there are mini-bars in every room and there is definately an adult-pool)

Because the "reviewer" starts by saying they travel to 3-5 star resorts every other month, but they have ONE pin on their travel map and they have not submitted any other reviews. I suppose it's possible, but it seems askew.

Because the reviewer's main complaints seem to be about "locals"... Are there "vendors"? Yes. Do they "harrass you constanly all day" ? ABSOLUTELY NOT. There are security personel who will NOT allow a vendor to "linger" if you show any sign of not being interested.

The reviewer mentions "a local tried to steal their bags twice".... ABSOLUTE NONSENSE.

EVERYONE KNOWS EVERYONE in that tiny community. There are only a handful of vendors on the Starfish beach to begin with, and it would be literally IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to grab something and get away without being seen.

Note they said "TRIED to steal"

Lastly, take note that it's the ONLY one of the last ten reviews that isn't a good review.

Respect.

Steve

Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

Dulce - don't spend any energy worrying about that latest report - I personally havent been to SF (either going there or to Negril on June 6th and can't wait) but honestly, they got splashed with water while at the pool bar??? Were they not wet anyway??? I can see people posting real concerns but lets get real - that's just a tad ridiculous! Usually when I'm reviewing the comments and one stands out so differently from the bulk, I put it down to a fussy traveller. At the moment, I'm waiting for the SF to drop to $641 all in for the June 6th departure from Toronto. Just dropped today for tomorrows departure and I'm cheap so keep holding off! If we end up at SFish, I'll let you know and will give you an honest report when we get back! Take care!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

Thanks guys for the reassurance, I thought the same thing about there only being 1 pin in their travel history.

Then I did start to think, it was just someone being in a lousy mood, I mean was there nothing that made you happy, besides a massage? Very ODD.

OK I am NOT going to pay this report any mind, on with the countdown. . . 19 MORE DAYS!!!

canada
Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

I agree with almost all of the above comments.

Reviews that are very negative or very positive are usually not that reliable.

Anything related to the travel agency, or company, should not be included in a hotel review.

The only thing I agree with in the review, is the Adult pool.

When we stayed in January, the only water slide they would let my 4 year old son use, was the one in the "adult pool". That being the blue slide by the swim up bar. Tons of kids used that pool as it was not deep. Based on that, I dont really think it is an adult pool. Unless of course one of the other pools is the adult pool, but they all had tons of kids as well.

I see that as a plus. Its a family resort, no need for an adult pool.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
226 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

Dulce:

I happen to be a Starfish fanatic! LOL It is one of the best resorts I have been to in Jamaica and a magnet keeps drawing me back. LOL And, Starfish has the best beach on the north coast. Click on my name, view my photos, and see for yourself. Yes, it is a family friendly resort. And, no, I don't want to be there when there are a bunch of kids. Been there, done that LOL.

The solution: we go the week after Easter, when the weather is great and all the rugrats are back in school.

Ditto for the second or third week in November.

jt

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

jtisch,

I looked at your pictures and would like to know how you compare Starfish to BRB? We're probably going back to BRB again but I keep seeing the great prices at Starfish. We do love BRB and my husband likes the golf but just wondering how the places compare.

Dereham, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

ive noticed over the last few days theres been a couple more bad reviews placed, the thing i cant understand is that why moan about kids if ure going to a family orientated resort, the other thing ive noticed is simmilarities in the way 2 of the reviews have been written,

the travel agent im travelling with told me the other day when i queried the reviews that other hotels log in as assumed names just to leave bad reviews at competing hotels.

unless u go for ure self ull never know what the resort is like, im going as i tend to believe the 90% of good reviews on the resort, and ive read a lot of reviews across a host of trip sites

New Jersey
Level Contributor
108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

Holey Moley just finished reading the other reviews. . . jeeeeeez.

jtisch, saw your pics, they are lovely, thank you.

Now I am hoping cherbear goes to starfish so we can get the real deal, lol.

Anywho, 18 MORE DAYS!!!

Highpoint, North...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

I have 21 days to go before experiencing Starfish for myself. I also became alarmed at the reviews given from the weekend of Memorial day holiday. I was like, what have I gotten myself into?

Thanks Steve for your comment It reassured me.

I'm looking forward to my trip

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most recent negative trip review on Starfish. . .

As long as you're not expecting 5 star luxury you'll enjoy the Starfish. For the price it really offers a lot and personally I prefer the beach there over Negril's. Its been a while since I stayed there though.