We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunderstorms in Jamaica

Wales
12 posts
Save Topic
Thunderstorms in Jamaica

So with only a week to go I'm looking at the weather over there and the forecasts.... there's nothing but thunderstorms.

Anyone been very recently, going soon, been this time of year, or know anything?

Very worried now as it could be disastrous if I'm stuck in my room for 2 weeks

Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunderstorms in Jamaica

We were there last year 5/29 - 6/3 and had t-storms daily for the first 4 days however, the real hard rain only came down for a couple of hours - never did we lose an entire day from the t-storms. I actually enjoyed sitting on our deck (covered) and watching the rain!! Don't have much of a choice when it happens - I don't think you will have two solid weeks of rain in any case. Where are you staying? We leave on Friday - can't wait!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunderstorms in Jamaica

Please don't worry. No way will you be stuck in your room for 2 weeks. The storms come and go with sunshine usually in between.

So if it is pouring, sit under a thatched roof at a local bar and enjoy the sound and fresh smell and beauty of the rain as it comes down. It is quite a wonderful and dramatic event for us after all the years of going, we still love the rain. You will still have the warm weather even in the rain.

We love to play dominos on our patio when it rains sipping Red Stripe, and love to run around jumping in puddles just for the fun of it.

I hope that you have the greatest time ever!!

Gail

Wales
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thunderstorms in Jamaica

We're staying at Starfish, 6 more sleeps till we go and 13 more sleeps till we get married there.

I know it's unrealistic but I was hoping to see not a drop of rain for the two weeks I'm there, I live in Wales and see enough rain as it is!

Calgary
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thunderstorms in Jamaica

The rain in Jamaica is different. Here in Calgary it generally rains for the whole day (or week, as this week seems to be) and it's often COLD. In Jamaica, it stays warm even if it's raining, and it's quite enjoyable to stay outside in it as long as it's not too heavy. If it's heavier, go inside for a nap, or find a covered bar and get to know someone new. The rain will be over soon. I love that it rarely rains REALLY hard for very long!

Day after day of JUST sunshine would get boring, don't you think? OK, maybe not!

MuseJam

Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thunderstorms in Jamaica

Just returned from Sunset Resort Mobay 8 days, Rained about every day between 2-4, then went away, Really isnt a problem, nap time for me, still a great tan and a couple days of no rain. I travel to Jamaica a lot as I am a trvel agent, but Mar-may is a bit rainey. August is a good month to travel, just be alert for Hurricanes to determine if you want the insurance or not..:) Have a great time. I posted some travel hints in Sunset resort review..:)

6. Re: Thunderstorms in Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 05:26