We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

Ontario
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

I used my mastercard at this resort and someone has been using my number ever since. I thankfully have gotten credited for it, but make sure you take alot of american cash with you so this does not happen to you.

When we were at the resort there was another lady there complaining that there was an exta 500.00 on her mastercard that she never put on there. So just be very careful. Someone is still trying to use my card number to get cash advaces, thank god they dont have my pin #.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

"but make sure you take alot of american cash with you so this does not happen to you."

I don't advise that ever....theft!

Take travellers cheques and or debit card and get money as you need it.

Sorry this happened to you Fish.

Ontario
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

We had no problem with the cash, we had a safe in our room. We had all our personal stuff and our cash in there all week and nothing happened.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

So very sorry this has happen to you. I also do not encourage anyone to bring a lot of American Cash. Jamaica ATM's are abundant & simple to use. The last time we were at Startfish/Breezes they were building a room to the right of the front desk. They said it was to be used for the ATM & other banking needs.

Not sure if this in fact happened. Can you tell us if it did?

Where did you use the card? Was it at the front desk, the excursion desk, spa etc.

Ontario
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

I got everything credited back, but how many more people is this happening to at this resort. Dont get me wrong I would go back because I like this resort alot, but I will never use my card again. WOW what an expensive trip!LOL.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

First it needs to be said that this is not unique to Breezes Trelawny. It could happen anywhere. A bit of advice. If one actually needs to use a credit card for any major purchases or to pay for accommodations anywhere, and regardless if it is Jamaica or any other destination in the world, do not let the card leave your sight during the transaction and watch the vendor and make sure that he/she knows you are. With the introduction of chip technology in credit cards many countries in the world are adopting it. I highly recommend this added piece of secuity. Otherwise use an ATM for cash.

Edited: 27 February 2010, 14:09
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

SO true BP....my sister had her number stolen right where she lives in lil' ole Tera Alta West Virginia. Her Discover Card to be exact. Luckily Discover Card is on the ball, they called HER when they noticed some weird transactions.

So it can and DOES happen everywhere. As long as the card has the Visa/Mastercard logo on it then you are safe from theft, some after the first $50.00. EVEN the Visa check/debit cards are covered. A lot of folks are under the impression that the check cards are not covered by the fraud protection of the issuing bank.

Also how did the other person there know there was another $500.00 on her card? Just curious as I rarely call my bank to check on my balance while on vacation......

Can you please let us know WHERE you used it in this resort & if they do have the "banking" room with ATM set up.

Edited: 27 February 2010, 14:17
CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

bit Fish....when you give blanket statements of what you recommend you have to realize not everyone stays at Starfish. There are def theft issues at the Riu Palace for instance.

I'm very glad what you had in your safe was fine but that isn't always the case everywhere sadly enough.

I don't advise anyone to bring a whack of cash......it's not smart. Get money as you need it or bring travellers cheques.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

A followup on Blue Pirates tips.....keep you card in sight is a great idea But also when going to a hotel they will ask for your CC. At that time they take a "hard Copy" of the card. This CC impression will have your entire CC number embossed on it. This is where the numbers are being stolen from usually.

The entire time of your stay your reservation is sitting somewhere behind the front desk with this embossed card imprint open for all eyes and hands to "see". Luckily most places on line will ask for the 3-4 digit personal code from the back of your card. THIS is what is soooooo valuable. If you ever see anyone writing down this code or scribbling numbers on a piece of paper while dealing with you this should be a BIG red flag.

I personally have a log with these numbers written down. I then scratch them off the card. This way they can never be used to purchase items online from anyone other then myself. I also never sign my CC's, I write see ID on them. If a clerk asks for my ID (which is rarely) I make an extra effort to seek out the manager & compliment the cashier.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

your mc company should have closed your account immediately.That happned to me a few yrs back & I was not able to use the card until they were contacted.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not use your Mastercard or Visa at the Breezes Trelawny!

frodo,

Agreed, but only if the resort or business establishment uses the old imprint method and do not use the magnetic strip or chip. If they use either of the more modern methods it is all electronic. there is no hard copy.

Get answers to your questions about Falmouth
Recent Conversations